Archive Filing

Richlist

Over the past 20+ years of being a landlord I must have kept & filed away virtually every single document relating to my tenancies on the basis that it 'might come in handy one day'. That day has never arrived so I've just spent the last 3 days disposing of most of it by shredding & burning said documents. I've just kept the tenancy agreements for posterity and the last 7 years of associated tax related stuff.

I'm telling you because it's been bloody hard work. I really wish I'd been a little more disciplined with filing and keeping records so that I wouldn't have needed to waste the last few days disposing of it.

Yes, I am guilty as well of keeping records since 1989. Not only that but all the files of my property renovations over those years with itemised expenditure recordings for each property.  I always had a concealed feeling that one day an HMRC inspector would jump up at me at the front door and demand to see all my financial dealings so he / she could trawl through them for irregularities and hit me with an unexpected tax bill.

It's never happened I am glad to say.  Perhaps I should follow RL and start to get rid of the really old rental/property records.  Hang on, there is a knock at the door. 😀