Possession order granted what next.

chrissharp

I Have a rented accommodation and recently got the possession order that runs out soon, can someone guide the best way to have the T removed from the property. I ask this as I really do not have much experience with bailiffs and what powers they have and it seems that the T can still come up with excuses. 

There are professional firms that will deal with this in the quickest and most efficient way. It removes any risk of you getting something wrong. If you want to go this route try Landlord Action.....they are easy to find online.

You have done the hard bit getting the possession order. After the notice period the judge gave expired you need to establish if the tenant has vacated by the ordered date. If not you need to apply for a court bailif to enforce the possession order which I think is form number N325 and approx  £110. You are there in the hands of how fast the bailiff in your area work. There has been a hold on bailiffs due to COVID but I think it has been changed again so called you local court and ask the question and what their lead time is. You could also use a high court bailiff which could be a lot quicker but comes with a cost.

Thanks Grampa , Richlist for the advice. Time is not really a concern, its more the outcome. Simply will the CC bailiff PHYSICALLY evict or take some pointless excuse and walk away for another period of time, for the sake of £66 is this worth escalating to the high court or do they have the same powers to evict. What I am looking for is a bailiff that will except no excuses, turn up , drill lock and evict. 

'If' the T's haven't already vacated you will need to organise for a locksmith to gain entry with Bailiff presence, and police if things look to be turning ugly. But the Bailiffs will consider police attendance.

Nowt wrong with you using a key or drilling the lock yourself, but if you fail the Bailiffs might swan off requiring you to arrange another visit with them.

While the High Court Sheriff is far more effective at confiscating goods and debt recovery I'm not sure they are any more effective at facilitating entry, happy to be corrected on that one.

I would monitor the property, even consider reminding the T's of their imminent eviction. Most would be apprehensive of the Bailiffs arriving.

If you can be 'reasonably' sure they have vacated then the property is back in your possession, gain entry as you please, but be aware of traps such as leaving belongings to demonstrate they're still in possession.

Neighbours witnessing removal of belongings is good for you. Checking for council tax and utility account cessation also good. If on housing benefit check with the local authority if the T's are still in receipt, although double property payments can be allowed occasionally.

8 hours ago, chrissharp said:

Thanks Grampa , Richlist for the advice. Time is not really a concern, its more the outcome. Simply will the CC bailiff PHYSICALLY evict or take some pointless excuse and walk away for another period of time, for the sake of £66 is this worth escalating to the high court or do they have the same powers to evict. What I am looking for is a bailiff that will except no excuses, turn up , drill lock and evict. 

Having used the bailiffs many times over the years I have never had a ex-tenant have to be physically removed from the property mostly they go before the day of the visit because the bailiff has has contacted them prior to the visit to pre-warn them what could/will happen if they try to remain.

You just have to make sure you give access to the property on the day of the visit to the bailiff such as keys or have a locksmith on hand. If not the bailiff will walk away if they cant get in. He will then walk around check no one is there and sign off, 5 mins max. You then secure the property to make sure they cant get back in. 

Though it may only cost £66 to move to the high court but there will extra costs for the high court bailiffs to attend but the process likely to be very quicker and more certain.