Jump to content

Tax Losses


Recommended Posts

I have a couple of properties for rental purposes. My tax knowledge is as low as it gets, but when I fill in my self assessment I am wondering how I fill in my losses.
My Income is approx £3,000
My Losses is approx £6,500 (various repairs etc)
Do I have to declare my full income and my full losses when I fill in my self assessment?
Or can I carry some of my losses over to next years tax assessment?
Am just concerned if I have to declare my full losses, which are £3,500 over my profits, will they be automatically carried over to next years tax assessment or will I lose them?
Matthew McGowan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your help. I would, as I interpret it, say it's revenue expenses. I had tenants in the property and I had to repair the roof, replace some radiators and it needed a full rewire as per the electrical inspection. Including various other issues... Yes, it has been an expensive property Grrrrrrr... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Provided all of the work involved like for like repairs & replacements then it's revenue.

If there was any element of improvement e.g.....larger radiators, extra sockets, extra lights etc etc then it's capital expense and cannot be offset against rental income.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...