Council Tax COVID 19

Richard

Hi  Fellow Landlords

Can anyone enlighten me on the situation about Council Tax and empty properties.

I know under normal times Derby City Council allows 28 days free when a tenant moves out, but does anyone have any experience of Derby City  weather they are waving the C Tax during these difficult times for everyone.

I have 1 vacant and 1 becoming vacant and my letting agent has closed their doors  at the moment, so I have decided not to let  them at present any comments welcomed

Richard 

My local council have no CT waiver or concessions on empty properties. Landlord/Owner is responsible for CT from day 1. 

I would say that ALL councils are expecting CT to be paid as per normal during this Corona Virus epidemic and for me the annual CT payment I make for my own property is due on April 1st.

I don't expect to hear from the CT authorities that they are intending to change anything either.

Found this on the internet under Council Tax Exempt Dwellings class G.

We have been ordered and instructed by the government to stay home and ideally not move house 

STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS

No. 558

COUNCIL TAX, ENGLAND AND WALES

The Council Tax (Exempt Dwellings) Order 1992

Made 9th March 1992------  Laid before Parliament 10th March 1992----    Coming into force 31st March 1992

Class G: an unoccupied dwelling the occupation of which is prohibited by law, or which is kept unoccupied by reason of action taken under powers conferred by or under any Act of Parliament, with a view to prohibiting its occupation or to acquiring it;

When am I allowed to leave the house?

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

• shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
  • one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
  • any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
  • travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home
GOVERNMENT ADVICE 
Can I move house?
Homebuyers and renters should, where possible, delay moving to a new house while measures are in place to fight coronavirus. 

Comments Please

This has been in the media so most people would already be aware of it.

I served an S21 back in January before the corona virus kicked off. My tenants were due to move out on or before April 21st. But I'm guessing they won't be doing that now as they will struggle to find an available property or landlord. In their shoes I'd sit tight. It's doing both of us a favour.....they have somewhere to live......I don't have an empty property that I can't sell or relet.

• 2 weeks later...