How On Earth Do You Guys Deal With This?!

adonaghy

Okay, so mid terrace nicely decorated house got reasonable response to advert on Rightmove and this weekend two offers. First couple with baby come back within 24hrs to say her mum and her two cats unexpectedly need to ‘temporarily’ move in to property too for an undisclosed amount of time - not answering my request for more info. Next one is a guy with his girlfriend who spoke only when I addressed her and I noted an American accent. She has a son. He’s completed application but says girlfriend and son will be there regularly but not wanting her on tenancy. He’s local and selling his marital home due to divorce and appears solvent.Fraught with danger? Any educated opinions on this particularly the second application? I’d rather have it empty til right tenant comes along but am I being too fussy? Considering lowering rent now after nearly a month of wasters. How long would you wait before lowering rent. Only have one house to rent and cannot imagine how anyone puts up with this **** on a grand scale. 

Some of us are very, very picky when it comes to selecting suitable tenants. I've spent over 20 years going thru the same frustrating exercise as you. But I never give in.......I always wait until the right applicant(s) turn up. I once had a flat empty for 2 months. I had 59 different applicants......58 of them were unsuitable.

I'd they don't tick all the boxes don't let them have the tenancy.

Neither of your applicants would be suitable for me. 

Neither of your applicants would be suitable for me either. Hasty occupation of your property could lead to serious problems later on which would make the fact your property has not been receiving any rental payments for a couple of months pale into insignificance with possible future eviction costs.

It is at the application stage that the hard work begins and it does take time and effort which will be rewarded by a non appearance on the TV program "Nightmare Tenants".

Never rush or be rushed. If you have only 2 applicants and it’s been advertised for some time you need to ask yourself why. Is it overpriced, how does it compare in prices to other similar properties in the area and what condition is the decor? I always rent my properties a little underpriced to get as many applicants as possible so I am not pushed into letting to the best of a bad bunch. Renting a property £20-£30 cheaper per month but finding a tenant ASAP is better than it being empty for a extra month or 2

Hi Grampa, I’ve had nearly forty responses so far but weeded our loads before wasting my time having them traipse through the house. I’ve had 4 offers in total but there’s always a curve ball thrown like the last two- who I’ve now rejected. Will give it another week before reducing rent then see how it goes. I’ve a no DSS, no pet  stance so seriously considering letting them have a goldfish.