Marketing New Property

adonaghy

Hi, my current tenants move out 11th December giving me festive period to refresh paint and do any other wee jobs. I’m going to advertise the three bedroom terrace house on OpenRent as this gives me access to Rightmove, Zoopla etc. I can take the hit for a void period but would you see benefit in advertising early saying ‘coming soon’ or giving future date in January or just wait til it’s all ready to go before initiating advert? I’m wondering if having advert on early would give myself more time to screen potential tenants and give  prospective tenant more time to plan the move? Worried if advert sits a while ( because I’m fussy) that would put people off ? 

I've found that advertising early is nearly always a disadvantage. That's because prospective tenants want to view the property ASAP which means it's going to be presented to them when it's far from ready ie......existing tenants still in property, decorating/ building materials everywhere etc etc.

I guess it depends how early you want to advertise it. 

You want good up to date photos. Its no good just using limited or old photos because if you plan to update at a later date as a lot of earlier viewers of the ad who ruled the property out will just skip past the updated ad. 

However saying that if you can get some good photos for the property portals advertising a couple of weeks before the property is ready will give you a head start but make it perfectly clear in the ad when the property will be ready for viewing.

Personally I would advertise as soon as you can even though renovations are taking place. Most prospective tenants will accept the fact that you are carrying out this work and that won't put them off. Also tenants may need to give notice on their present property or are under notice to leave anyway.  Make it clear that the property will be available on the future date you specify.

If your rental is in a high demand area then re letting during renovations would not present a problem and not forgetting of course it does take time and effort to progress prospective tenants through the contract paperwork etc. as well.