Dear Landlords - Please help

Sarah Jane

I am a landlord myself and am currently doing a research project for my business management degree which is investigating the viability of an on-line residential lettings agency for pet friendly landlords and tenants.  This research forms the last project for my part-time degree which I have studied whilst working full-time.

I have a very short Google Forms questionnaire for which the link is below and I would be so grateful if you could spare 2 minutes to complete it.  All responses will be anonymous.  

Please only complete if you over 18.

Thank you for your time.

https://goo.gl/forms/Mxrv9a70RkFcWuG03

I filled this in but don’t think the questions asked will answer your question accurately. For example I do not use an agent but advertise via OpenRent which puts my property on Rightmove etc and it gives me the option to say if I accept pets or not. I doubt a pet friendly only portal can compete with portals and agents which are established and cater for both the pet owner and the non pet owner renter. Your questionnaire also asked me questions on both sides of the argument and  some questions didn’t give me an option to say I already rented to pet owners so it is presenting a very lopsided view and one based on assumptions rather than research. 

We get quite a few of these surveys on the forum......there have been around half a dozen since I've been posting here. None of them are perfect. They often ask questions where they then don't provide all the options. But that comment would often apply to other surveys from large organisations who have used professional marketing experts to handle the survey on their behalf.

There is no substitute for hands on experience in any profession.

Often the people drafting the questions have no experience, very little knowledge or expertise and occasionally don't consider the wider picture.

Good luck with the research project.

I also rent a property to a couple with a dog.........no opportunity to state this. Yes I do have T&C's which they were more than happy to accept.

In the 4 years they have been renting from me I have had absolutely no problem with these tenants (or the dog) in fact, I would say they are the best tenants I have ever had in 25 years.

Archived