Landlord reference

kesm

Hi all

Can you please advise if by law I have to give a landlord reference ? The estate agency of my tenant called me for one.

Now because my existing tenant was the worst I ever had, I don;t really want to give one.

Thoughts?

You could say you charge £30 for a reference and if the tenant would like pay you will give one. But if you do, keep it factual and short such as:

1 Tenancy start date

2 Tenancy end date

3 Any rent arrears at the end of the tenancy YES/NO (if yes how much)

4 Did the tenant pay the rent on time during the tenancy YES/NO

5 Would you rent to this tenant again YES/NO

If your tenant is still living in your property and you want him out DONT be tempted to give a nonfactual reference as it could potentially come back to bite you. You are better off just not giving one and ignore the requests which puts the onus on the new agent/landlord to satisfy themselves on the quality of the person as a tenant.  

20 hours ago, Grampa said:

You could say you charge £30 for a reference and if the tenant would like pay you will give one. But if you do, keep it factual and short such as:

1 Tenancy start date

2 Tenancy end date

3 Any rent arrears at the end of the tenancy YES/NO (if yes how much)

4 Did the tenant pay the rent on time during the tenancy YES/NO

5 Would you rent to this tenant again YES/NO

If your tenant is still living in your property and you want him out DONT be tempted to give a nonfactual reference as it could potentially come back to bite you. You are better off just not giving one and ignore the requests which puts the onus on the new agent/landlord to satisfy themselves on the quality of the person as a tenant.  

That;s a brilliant idea! thanks so much

Archived