Compounded interest savings???

Grampa

I heard a interesting comment today. 

It was mentioned that you could save yourself a substantial  amount of interest on your mortgage if you opted to make payments 2 weekly instead of monthly. Apparently it is because the way interest  is compounded. 

Has anyone else heard of this.? 

EDIT:

Not being a mathematician but putting a bit more thought to it I think if it is correct it only applies to a repayment mortgage. But I could be wrong. 

No, but making even small overpayments on a mortgage will significantly reduce the amount of interest paid.

The success of what you have heard will depend on the way your lender calculates interest. By paying some money 2 weeks early it probably means the full months interest due will be calculated on a reduced amount.....resulting in less interest.

When I had a repayment mortgage and that was a long time ago but all calculations are relative I only had minimal savings but used to overpay my monthly mortgage and I finished with it 10 years early.

My Kid's do the same with their mortgage. I would recommend this to anyone who has a mortgage to pay a small amount off extra every month.

Repayment mortgage interest is calculated on a daily basis as far as I know.

Archived