Possible underground leaking pipe

geek84

Good Morning Folks

I hope you're well.  I have found that the carpet on my kitchen floor has has got wet patches in around 3 places.  I have checked the walls and ceiling of the kitchen, including the rest of the house, and there doesn't seem to be water anywhere else.

I presume that means there is a pipe leak from under the ground?  If so, would that be covered by my home insurance policy?

Has anybody else come across that problem before?  What's the best way to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Presumably you have eliminated:

* A spillage whilst using the kitchen....saucepan, kettle etc

* A leaking water supply pipe or waste pipe inside a kitchen cupboard.

* A high pressure supply at the kitchen tap splashing onto the floor.

* Lack of care whilst filling or emptying the washing machine or dishwasher.

* A leaking plastic bottle etc etc

All of which we have had over the years.

Normally buildings insurance will cover for leaks from fixed water supply pipes. Check your policy.

Most of the better and more comprehensive home insurance policies cover water escape from underfloor pipework. Some don't though. Check your policy for the answer to your question.

If you have a water meter fitted to your property observe the indicator for any slight rotation with all taps etc. switched off.

My wife was dealing with the sale of her mothers home after she when into a care home and the property suffered a major leak from a under floor pipe  between exchange and completion. Unfortunately the purchasers hadn't put insurance in place which is the purchasers responsibility after exchange.

That's extremely unlucky. Unfortunately leaks usually occour at the worst possible time.

Years ago we bought an off plan house. During the build there was a British Gas strike so the gas connection couldn't be made until the strike was over. It was mid winter with freezing temperatures so the builders couldn't turn the water supply on and test the central heating system. The day before completion the strike ended, the gas connection was made, water was turned on and heating turned on. When they returned a few hours later they discovered that one of the copper joints under the floor had not been soldered and there was water everywhere. 

Good Morning Folks

Many thanks for your responses.

I've got the problem sorted now - there was a leak in a pipe based in the bathroom downstairs.  A local plumber came round and sorted out the problem.

Once again, thanks for your responses.

Yours is a typical example of why trying to solve a problem like this on an internet forum is virtually impossible.

In the absence of any information to the contrary.....it's usual for a house to have a kitchen on the ground floor and not above a bathroom.

Archived