nonrefundable credit check

Amy717

Not sure what CT stands for?

How much money for a refund are we talking about here?   It costs me £5 to run a credit check.

If you received money to run a credit check and then did not use that money to carry out out the task they paid for then in legal terms it is breach of contract.

So for me yes, they are entitled to a refund as you did not complete the task they paid for.

I suspect CT = is Connecticut in the USA.

Is this a trick question ?

Someone pays you for a service which you don't carry out. You incur no costs and have expended no time or effort.

Irrespective of the legal position.....how could anyone of reasonable intelligence think that it is morally acceptable not to refund the money ? What planet are you on ?

I offer no apology for the tone of my response.

Yes I thought it might be from one of our American cousins.     Same rule applies though in my answer to this person.

I dont think this type of sharp practice is unique to the States. It goes on in this country with a small number of  agents taking ref fees from multiple applicants at the same time to increase income. One of the reasons the fee ban looks like it is going ahead.

The way we work is to get  application forms completed if there are multiple applicants, then assess them and pick the best one with the agreement of the landlord. Only then do we take fees (from the one picked) and do the work to verify the content. If the checking brings up inconsistency's or info deliberately left out for obvious reasons the "tenant" is blown out and loses their fee inline with the conditions of their signed receipt when the funds were paid over. (fee is also lost if they withdraw) This may only happen about 2-3 times a year.

To take funds with no intention of doing the tasks related to the work or to take multiple fees  as a money making excise is morally corrupt and plain wrong. How do you justify that Amy717??

I agree, this goes on here in the UK.....and probably ever where else from time to time.  What's different with this is the shameless way in which the OP thinks it's ok to ask the question in the expectation that someone will agree it would be ok just to keep the money.

My agents take the time to quiz prospective applicants in order to ensure that they have a good chance of passing before they accept their application fee. They are given every opportunity to share any issues or potential reasons for failure before they pay. Once they pay if they fail the checks its non refundable which is 100% fair.

Just the way it should be.

We get asked all the time by applicants what is the criteria for a pass and fail which a lot of agents especially the corporate chains have and it is black or white with a tick box mentality. We reply we dont have one and judge each person on their own merits and the landlord own view towards risk.We have let to many people with a history of CCJ's and or bankrupt. But we look at the whole picture and if they are historic for relatively small amounts but we now have a good letting history and proven income levels we will consider subject to landlord approval and we are happy with them as well.    

Archived