400,000 + Spanish Properties available

Richlist

Read somewhere that there are over 400,000 new empty properties in Spain.......remember......the housing boom that fell flat a few years back.

We have a housing shortage in the UK.

Why don't we ship all our homeless over there......whilst we are still in the EU and Spain can't object ?

Seems we could do Spain and the UK a favour.

Sun, sea and a new property, what more could people ask for.

The Gov could buy a few for those that want to rent a 'council house'

Radical, utopian, out of the box thinking.......it's what made this country great.

Happy Christmas. hic.

The reason why there are 400,0000 empty properties in Spain is because the Spanish have come to the UK to find work and therefore are partly responsible for the UK housing shortage as there is a need for them to be housed.    Perverse isn't it.  :D

Older, retired or about to retire don't always need jobs........so Spain would be good for them. 

Then there the 'undesirables'......drug addicts, career criminals etc.....why not ship them to Spain ?After all, we seem to have been getting a lot of similar people from European countries for the last few years.  Funnily enough I have never met a Spaniard who has emigrated to the UK.

We have decided to put ours on the market next April when we go over there, I am 70 next year and worried about car hire insurance , at the moment don't mind the drive from Santander / Bilbao , but in 10 year ,s time ? , we have decided to sell in the mountains and buy on the coast on the west of Malaga on train /bus route so will not need car hire.

We got so fed up with car hire charges, state of hire cars, safety, missing spare wheel etc that 5 years ago we decided to buy our own car in Spain. We are now on our second car. We've found a company that store the car for us in a secure compound then deliver to the airport on our arrival and collect from the airport on our departure.......all for under 300 Euro a year.

Overall the cost of running your own car is more than it would be to hire but there are lots of advantages. Annual costs .....road tax 42 Euro, insurance 320 Euro, service and mot (every 2 years) 160 euro.

I never did get the 'buying in Spain' thing (or France for that matter).  Far easier to rent if you like the place that much. 

You never know when the Spanish government might insist your house be demolished for some nefarious reason or be built in front of by some local cowboy who has greased the right palms.  I'm off to Singapore next week..........love it!

Yes, agree with you Bill , ours is a 75 year old end of terrace house in a "white" village , when we bought 15 years ago I spent 3 months over there doing it up to our taste, but as I said its time to let it go , I realise prices are depressed in Spain but the exchange rate wont affect us as we will be buying in Spain again , also the price of selling maybe lower but so will be the price of purchasing.

Archived