Council Tax Relief on MT Property

Carryon Regardless

Maybe a heads up on something that caught me out recently, not serious but a £60+ better in my pocket.

Our local council still gives a 3 month 100% discount on an MT and unfurnished property.

My AST states all council charges etc to be the responsibility of the T for the full period of responsibility agreed within the AST.

Early in the year I held T's to the full period of notice, so they held the keys till that day although they had vacated the property a couple of weeks earlier.

As it turned out I re let the property near on 3 months later but as the previous T's had claimed the MT property discount for a couple of weeks or so the council have charged me for the couple of weeks, as the 3 month discount ended a couple of weeks prior to the re let.

Really the previous T's should be liable, if only to me now, for those couple of weeks, but my wording of contract would give them a let out as they have paid as the council have charged them.

I've had similar in an abandonment situation, but then I wrote to that council to inform that the absconder had left furniture so the property wasn't MT, and they still had responsibility for the property until repossession.

Maybe I've to consider some re wording.

Unfortunately I don't think there is any easy way around the problem which most of us have experienced at some time. 

In my case I've had similar situations but the amounts involved have been relatively small. By the time you take into account that they are tax deductable, you are happy to get your property back and are busying yourself with preparing it and reletting its often not worth the time and effort to chase.

Don't worry......all these tenants are going to get their reward in a few months when we all raise the rents to cover increased lettings agents fees......I'm rather looking forward to it.

20 hours ago, Richlist said:

Don't worry......all these tenants are going to get their reward in a few months when we all raise the rents to cover increased lettings agents fees......I'm rather looking forward to it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Archived