Honeyboos

Honeyboos

I am in the process of renting out to a tenant who wants to put up a stud wall in the large bedroom in order to make two bedrooms. Do you know of what clause I should add to the tenancy agreement? I would be grateful if someone could let me know of a good clause. Thanks in advance

Here's a few things to think about.......

1. Should you let him make alterations to the property ?....most tenancy agreements do not allow this.

2. How do you know the quality of the work will be satisfsctory ?

3. How will you deal with the matter when he moves out ? Will he be expected to return the room to its original condition ?

4. Is he going to be moving more people into the property as a result of the extra bedroom ?

5. Are there any planning, lease, permission requirements ?

6. How will it affect your insurance cover ?

7. Will the extra bedroom mean you can charge a higher rent ?

Agree with Richlist's list + creating this extra room suggests he is going to be sub-letting - is this allowed in your agreement, do you want that? Will the extra tenant be someone who has NO right to rent in England and Wales?

You could be getting yourself in a load of boiling water.  Don't allow it and evict the tenant as soon as practical as he will probably go behind your back and sub let.

Do not permit this to go ahead Honeyboos. You will be heading for grief and problems you just don't need.

Richlist comments should be studied and digested.

Say no, a big no.

Any tenant believing this to be reasonable isn't a tenant I would want to keep.

What else is going on with 'your' property that he thinks he has the right to change? Wait for the suggestion that he has increased the value and deserves consideration.

Archived