New landlord licence/registration

Denis Sullivan.

Hello forum. I need some advice, I own a second property and I let relatives stay there rent free, they are saving for deposit on a house. They pay all the bills council tax etc, I will downsize next year and move in,when they will enough to buy there own home.

because I won't accept any rent and we don't have any tenancy agreement, must I still apply for landlord licence and register???

its all a bit confusing,your advice is much appreciated.

Check your property insurance as well. Any infringements will result in non payment in the event of a claim.  Do you actually have a landlord registration scheme in your area? A lot of Councils don't, including mine.

I remember reading an article a few years back that although you may not be receiving rental payments the governing rules still apply regarding tenant/landlord law.

You don't have to take rent to have a lease agreement. This lease agreement will simply say that the tenant agrees to pay you £0 per month. I've seen this many times where landlords let to family/friends. It makes it official without the rent payments making them able to obtain landlord insurance in the same way as everyone else.

But........AIUI....The law says that to make it a normal contract there has to be a 'consideration' i.e. a payment. No rent payment means it's not an AST. That might well muddy the water.

You need a legal opinion from someone who knows the rules.

Unlikely to find that on here.

I think one of the stumbling blocks here is the fact there is no AST and for me, no matter who I was letting the property to I would draw up an AST contract and show the rental payments as being £0.

Verbal contracts may be considered OK for some........ but not for me.

On 10/26/2016 at 10:01 AM, Richlist said:

But........AIUI....The law says that to make it a normal contract there has to be a 'consideration' i.e. a payment. No rent payment means it's not an AST. That might well muddy the water.

You need a legal opinion from someone who knows the rules.

Unlikely to find that on here.

My thoughts exactly.

Archived