Right to Rent RULES

Richlist

Now of all the forum discussions I note that there is almost a complete absence of any mention of the NEW rules regarding a landlords responsibility to check their tenants meet the 'Right to Rent ' criteria......came into force in Feb this year.

So, here is some info.......could be bad news for you if you don't comply.

http://www.property118.com/right_to_rent_rules_may_change_with_landlord_feedback/86384/

I tend to let to a lot of professional people from overseas. They speak perfect English, are usually well qualified and work for large firms in the UK.

I've always taken quite a relaxed view regarding checks for visas/ passports up to now because I have assumed that their large employers personnel department will have already carried out those sorts of checks and put remedial actions in place if there was anything missing.

I'm certainly going to check from now on......either me or my lettings agent. It doesn't look overly complicated.

I am unlikely to be approached by the more professional international applicants. More likely they are here for the lower status employment, at best.

This means they are less reliable as long term t's, very unlikely to present a local g'tor. Any credit checks are pointless. Gone tomorrow and so is the owed rents. I stay away, even if European.

I took on property with Chinese mother and son. Did all the checks using the Gov helpline and all was fine.  She had a Hong Kong Brit passport and son had Right to Remain.  I've done the country a favour as he is just about to start a 4 year University course which family are paying for!

Archived