Free Electrickery

Richlist

I thought the headline would grab your attention.

Now here's a funny thing. Recently had a tenant vacate, by mutual agreement, all ok, we are just about to sell the property.....already had an offer but more of that later.

We read the electric meter when the tenant vacated 7 weeks ago, agreed the readings with the outgoing tenant, contacted the energy supplier and gave them the readings. We have subsequently had the supplier confirm those readings, visit a month later and take their own readings and issue us with a bill for ZERO. The meter hasn't moved......we have used lights, boiled kettles, had storage heating on etc.

We have no idea who is paying for the electric.....any ideas ?

Has to be an unserviceable meter doesn't it?   Switch something on inside the property and look at the meter number's for movement.   No movement and your a lucky winner !

Joking aside, I'm not trying to avoid paying for electricity consumed but I'm not going to spend any time or effort to ask for it to be fixed either.

I'm guessing the worst that could happen is that I eventually get a bill for an amount somewhere near where it should be

Never had free energy before though......

I had about a 2 years free elecy in my office when the meter stopped working. I kept giving the same readings because it wasn't moving and changed supplier twice to muddy the waters but they eventually cottoned on and gave me a new meter but didn't charge for it.

If you are going to sell the property then there is no worry really.  "Here's my my meter reading..... please send me a closing invoice"..........best to do the final meter readings with the new buyer with you though.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt it. Routine meter changes are not subject to checking for tampering.

My post saying I'd been rumbled was 'tongue in cheek'.

I've received a standard letter advising me that my current meter is an old model that is being phased out and the time has come to have it replaced. The change over is free and has not, as far as I am aware, been initiated by anyone suspecting there is a problem with it.

Archived