Danger of leaving white goods to tenants

Grampa

This is something that a lot of agents or landlords have done at sometime, which is to have an arrangement that the new tenant takes on the ownership/reponsilbilty of certain white goods given by the previous tenant or even the landlord. Normally with the agreement that if it breaks they pay for any repairs or dispose of it.

We have just had a situation where the previous tenant was going to dispose of or give to a charity shop their washing machine but asked us if the new tenant would like to have it. So far so good this comes up a lot in lettings, in my expierence.

The trouble was the machine developed a fault within 2 weeks and flooded the flat and ruined the wood/parket flooring. Yes I know on the face of it the new tenant is reponsilble but because it was so soon to being given, in the tenants eyes it isnt their reponsilbility.

The insurance may cover this in this case so I am not overly concerned but it does open up a number of other possible outcomes with this sort of arrangement.

So next time we get asked we either refuse or dont act as the middleman when the question get asked.

Yes Grampa I've had this situation a few times.

I make it absolutely clear that the washing machine is a gift, they don't have to accept it, they can refuse and get their own ........but usually it is accepted. I also make it clear I don't have any responsibility for the machine if it develops a fault or needs replacing as I don't provide washing machines in any of my properties. The scenario you have described could just as easily have happened if the new tenant had purchased a second hand machine from elsewhere.

I would suggest that wood flooring in or near to kitchens is never a good idea.

I think I have stated many times on this forum over the years that I never provide washing machines due to previous bad experiences and Grampa's topic just reinforces why I do not.

I nearly relented a couple of years ago when a very good tenant vacated and asked me if I would buy the washing machine off them as in their new property it was already included. I thought long and hard on this as I knew a new young couple would be taking over the property.

Thank goodness I didn't, the young couple bought the washing machine for £80 and it broke down 6 weeks later and had to be scrapped.  They bought new one.

Nearly went a bit soft there!             :D..

Wether your tenants obtain a washing machine from you, your previous tenants or somebody else surely, surely any of them could fail almost immediately.

The issue is not the second hand washing machine but your need to ensure that your tenants understand that responsibility for it AND any collateral damage lies with the tenants.

Yes, if you can't manage to communicate that fact don't get involved. But don't then assume that their washing machine won't leak and damage the floors. 

As it happens the only loss in this case is a bit of damaged flooring but it gets me thinking what if it was a electrical fault and there was a fire and someone got hurt/killed.

Does then some of the responsibility fall on the agent/landlord? Or the authorities may choose to pursue the  agent/landlord for someone to blame as they acted as middleman in the transaction.

I can see “duty of care” and “acting in the best interests” of the tenant being banded about.

After all we do not know any of the history of these appliances and they could have been tinkered about with by the previous owner.

Good point Grampa.

As a Lettings Agent I can also see that you need to be extra careful

As an individual landlord I find that this scenario doesn't present itself that often.....maybe once a year. But, having considered it, I now think I will avoid it in the future. After all, there is nothing financially in it for me, so no real incentive other than doing someone a favour/ trying to be helpful. The downside could be be enormous in both time and money......so best avoid in my opinion.

Archived