Landlords to Act as Border Control Agent's

Richlist

Landlords will be responsible for checking their tenants right to rent their property and evict if they are illegal immigrants. Failure to act means 5 years in prison. This will break the 40 year rule that says only a court can evict tenants.

I wish they would expand that into a complete revision on tenant's who refuse to pay their rent and for some odd reason are given months of occupation before being evicted by the Courts.

As far as the new legestlation is concerned I don't have a problem with it as I don't allow people from an overseas country to rent any of my properties and if I did I would just follow the guidelines that have been put in place.

I let to people from abroad. My understanding is:-

* Anyone from Europe cannot be an illegal immigrant as European rules allow free movement.

* Anyone from rest of world needs a VISA.

I now check that any applicants have a valid visa (it's usually stamped in their passport)....and I make a note of when it expires. If there is no visa there will not be a tenancy agreement.

I have had situations where a tenants visa has expired during a tenancy and I do take an active interest in their actions to arrange renewal.

It's not particularly difficult or onerous to carry out a few simple checks and landlords normally don't need to do more than that.

To some extent it depends on the social class of the tenant. My tenants tend to be professionals......engineering, teaching, IT, medical etc and all work for large organisations. That means their employer is also required to ensure their visa requirements are legitimate. But other unskilled applicants working for small employers may not have the correct papers.

...........also if illegal tenant was found I would expect a flying squad to come and remove them straight to the airport and onto a waiting plane home - can't see that happening though.

Dream on Mortitia :D

There are cases as new as yesterday where economic migrants are immedietly put up in hotels and HMO houses whilst their applications are considered to stay in the UK. They do not all go to the over-full detention centres anymore.

Only yesterday I was staying in a 4 star ( Allegedly ! ) hotel on the South coast and there was a group of 5 people who were clearly immigration cases as they were on a set aside table and area of the dining room.

The biggest problem this Government has is not how to stop the 5,000 economic migrants at Calais but on where and how they are going to accommodate them all because it is clear to me that the government has a very weak approach on this matter to stop them coming through the UK borders.

Overseas from anywhere is likely to mean no worthwhile credit check and no guarantor (although they might well have someone in the uk that would stand).

Then they may say I am British I don't have a passport, so no way of checking status. I did have a very recent applicant that had no passport but her appearance and language capability supported her being British, but that's not always the case.

Some years ago now but the 2 European tenancies that have flown have left me with no chance of recovery from where they are now in Europe.

I can imagine hoofing out an immigrant family with a few young kids in winter with no where to go. How long before some charity supports their court claim against us?

As a general I now reject internationals and explain I can't check their history.

When things settle down the Gov't will probably legislate for that to be racist.

Well I nearly always insist on rent guarantee insurance. Most of my overseas applicants are able to meet the criteria to qualify for that insurance. But then doctors, teachers and engineers etc who are qualified and hold senior, responsible positions are not likely to want to cause problems for their future careers.

Different types of tenant the landlord targets probably require a different approach.

Archived