Portable Gas Heaters

Richlist

I know it's the wrong time of the year to be talking about heaters but I just learnt that one of my tenants has been using a portable calor gas heater in their flat (last winter).

These flats are all electric, no mains gas is laid on and I was always under the impression there was no gas for safety reasons.

I don't know if using a portable gas heater invalidates insurance or breaches any lease or other rules.

Anybody had experience of this or have any thoughts

I guess it depends on the insurance policy. My AST's strictly forbid portable gas bottle heaters mainly because they chuck out huge amount of moisture when used contributing to condensation and mould.

I would not have one in my own home let alone a rented property.

These portable gas heaters are required to have a regular servicing as well for safety checks etc.

They are gas and if the rules are no gas in a property then I would ask for it's removal asap.

Yes, they do give of a lot of water vapour for condensation to occur within the property..

I just found a clause in the lease that says not to keep or store flammables on the property and giving a few examples.

I think I'm going to need to add a few words to my AST or supporting paperwork informing tenants about this.

If you don't specifically spell it out to your tenants you won't know if they are using one anyway. Regular inspections won't necessarily identify a portable gas heater.

Archived