Need advice on short-let options for a travelling consultant

Dmitry1

Hi all,

I would really appreciate with your piece of adivce on the following: I work as a consultant and so I travel every two weeks every month. My 1 bedroom apartment (which I own) is close Waterloo. I was thinking of short-letting the apartment for the 2 weeks that I am away, but I don't know where to place the advertsiment (airbnb?) and secondly I can't physically be present to let someone in/out.

Could anyone share his or her insights if you had been in the same situation?

Many many thanks in advance!

1. If you have a mortgage on the property you should let the lender know.

2. If it's leasehold check if the freeholder requires you to obtain their permission to let.

3. Check your buildings & contents insurance to ensure you remain covered if letting.

4. Your mortgage lender will tell you how they will permit you to let.

5. You shouldn't let on a normal assured shorthand tenancy as you won't be able to regain possession for 6 months irrespective of any shorter contract.

6. Other than a holiday let I'm not sure how else you could do it for such a short term......lenders, freeholders & insurers will all likely not permit holiday let's.

In any case think about council tax, gas, electric, water, telephone usage/ consumptio etc.

I don't think your plan is a go'er.

I agree with RL.

You could be in for a whole load of problems on what your planning to do. Personally I would forget it as it could get very complicated and expensive for you if your 2 week let turns into an expensive eviction court case

You could do this as a holiday let but I think the fees would make it not worthwhile with the added risk of temp tenants not vacating or damage and dirt causing problems.

I am currently investigating renting out a 1 bed house that is my office part of the week from Thursday to Monday using an agency. 5 mins from the beach and 2 from the station makes it work. I think I might struggle if I lived there

We have a property which we let as a holiday let (its our old 4 bed house ,sleeps 8 ) which we let through a local well thought of holiday cottage agency , we are able to stipulate which weeks we do not want it let , we pay 24% of the holiday cost + cleaning and linen / towels charge , for key holding we have had to install a key safe with code number lock so the holidaymakers can let themselves in on arrival.

. We so far have 18 weeks booked , we are trying it over a 52 week period to see if its better revenue than a permanent furnished let.

Do let us know how you get on Kerbut. My understanding with holiday let's is that the wear & tear on furnishings & contents is prohibitively high.

In Spain where I know a few who let properties on a holiday let basis, they are replacing items quite frequently and holiday makers expect the latest high tech goods.

Good luck.

I'm interested to see how you get on too Kerbut. The agency I am going to use take 15% + VAT + a registration charge of £87 per year and they charge the client £20 for linen on top of the rental ( that means they could not pay the £20 and bring their own linen). Same key safe idea and I've got a tenant lined up for the cleaning as they are next door.

Mine will sleep 2 + a dog - got hard floors so should be ok and a metal spiral staircase. Like you am looking to go 52 weeks as only 10 mins from football club just promoted to the premier league. Only looking to let to hetero couples though.

Yes , will let you know how we get on , we had our first "guests " on the Whitsun week and have a further 16 weeks booked so far , the costs are fairly high to us ,24% to the agency , cleaning +laundry for 8 beds changed per week when occupied , we also have the rates ,water ,electricity and gas to pay ( we have had the gas AGA disconnected ) but our rentals range from £573 p/w to £1231 p/w in peak weeks, as I said lets see after 52 weeks if its been worth it.

I'm interested to see how you get on too Kerbut. The agency I am going to use take 15% + VAT + a registration charge of £87 per year and they charge the client £20 for linen on top of the rental ( that means they could not pay the £20 and bring their own linen). Same key safe idea and I've got a tenant lined up for the cleaning as they are next door.

Mine will sleep 2 + a dog - got hard floors so should be ok and a metal spiral staircase. Like you am looking to go 52 weeks as only 10 mins from football club just promoted to the premier league. Only looking to let to hetero couples though.

Must be near Eddie Howe ?

Thank you for your insights and thoughts to consider. I think you are right that it takes a lot of effort to manage it on my own…

I have talked to a friend who short-lets his flat via a short-let “agency” that provides complete services (cleaning, laundry, check-in/out guest, etc.) and charges a commission (he uses passthekeys.co.uk). He said he was happy with their services and they managed to increase his rent by ~70%. I was thinking that this might be a viable alternative in my case. I don’t really store anything valuable in my place and its fairly empty – consultant’s life is tough -___-

Archived