Is EU Membership good for Landlords ?

Richlist

You might have to start my thought processes going here RL as I don't see anything either way, until legislators tell us who we must to take.

An increased number of potential T's from the, can we call them immigrants? But as I can't check their history, don't trust their longevity of tenure, have doubts as to lifestyles, wouldn't anticipate taking them as T's, again.

I don't wish to educate myself on the correct procedures to be sure they have a right to be here, that is claiming to be from the EEC when maybe not.

Chasing absconding T's into Europe for losses isn't realistic.

I believe by the fact that you are raising this shows a negative opinion, can you guess mine?

I've had lots of tenants from EU countries over the years, French, German, Spanish, Portugese, Dutch and long may that continue. They are usually excellent tenants but, I only let to well educated professionals with either a job offer in the UK or an existing employment contract. No visa is required for people from EU and easy to check by having sight of their passport.

I've also had plenty from everywhere else, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Africa, Russia. My worries for the future where this group is concerned is that landlords are to be made responsible for checking work permits/ visas and ensuring any tenancy agreement is not continued if the visa expires. I've had this visa issue a few times but to date the tenants have always renewed without my involvement. I'm hoping that will continue as they mostly work for larger companies who should also be taking an interest in their employees having a valid work permit/visa.

Is it good for Landlord's? I wouldn't know. Legistlation will be brought in eventually to carry out the Border Agency job of checking credentials etc.it is bound to happen.

I know who is going to be my tenant (s) and the vetting rules would apply to any applicant. The very first requirement is that they must speak English that I can understand and communicate back to them.

I know that a few years back I had an LA who informed me that he was not allowed to discriminate against any applicant who couldn't speak English and was an oversea applicant . Needless to say it was not his letting agency I used.

All landlords need to be as sharp as a razor when vetting suitable tenant's.

In my 25 years of landlording the only really bad case I have had of a tenant being a right pain in the backside was a Canadian.( OK not in the EU :D ) He has the dubious distinction of being my worse tenant out of all the bad ones I have had. The letting agency that provided him runs a very close second to being diabolical in their business application to landlord's..

Mind you they did me a favour really because I decided I could do a better job then the Muppet's I had employed. All part of the steep learning curve of being a landlord.

I think I have mentioned before that some prospective tenants from Africa & Indian subcontinent speak excellent English,are well qualified, members of professional bodies and can hold senior positions. However, sometimes they have no concept/understanding of:

* English winters

* Refridgerators

* Sleeping in beds (they prefer the floor)

* Heaters or heating systems

If their wife accompanies them often, the wife has no domestic experience or knowledge as they come from families who employ domestic staff.

Landlords really need to think out of the box, not make assumptions, ask relevant questions and proceed with caution.

Archived