Another increase to court fees?

Grampa

Just come across some info about another increase in court fees for getting a possession order

You may remember the fee not so long ago was:

£100 on-line using the section 8 process

£175 for the post to the court using the s21 process

Both of these were increased to £250 for pcol and £280 for county court based claims on 22nd April 2014

Provided parliamentary time is available, the government plan to introduce a further £75.00 increase to all claims.
It is estimated this will generate £17million in extra revenue for the government.

I see this not just as a way to increase revenue which isn't a lot but to reduce or discourage landlords and agents from evicting tenants at the landlords expense. It will also increase the rise in landlords muddling through the process themselves to save costs which is bound to increase the amount of cases being struck out due to a error.

I think I need to charge more myself as I only charge 250 quid for my fee to help fill out the paperwork for landlords..

You can expect more increases in fee's for landlord's and more allowances for tenant's bad behaviour in the next 3 to 5 years from any Government that comes in on May the 8th.

Thanks for that update Grampa. Having watched the antics of MPs on the BBC1 programme on Parliament I expect they will make time to pass this one whereas most stuff gets filibustered out by men wearing an opera hat or some daft thing.

I agree it is a further ploy to prevent legal eviction and tax the landlord further. This will result in landlords taking the law into their own hands and other not wanting to rent to 'problem tenants'.

The country is nowhere near eliminating the deficit so there is going to be a LOT more of this (that's increased charges & taxes) in virtually every aspect of life for the rest of this parliament and the next.

There is no point in complaining......its going to happen irrespective of what you want.

Its best if you just resign yourself to rolling with the punches and see everything as an opportunity rather than a disadvantage.

The country is nowhere near eliminating the deficit so there is going to be a LOT more of this (that's increased charges & taxes) in virtually every aspect of life for the rest of this parliament and the next.

There is no point in complaining......its going to happen irrespective of what you want.

Its best if you just resign yourself to rolling with the punches and see everything as an opportunity rather than a disadvantage.

I agree but as the old saying goes pre-armed is pre-warned. So if you have a possible tenant who is border line on your referencing requirements you may now play if safe and wait for a better one to come along. Before when the cost was only a 100 quid if you did the eviction paperwork yourself you could take a punt but now it will cost too much.

I never consider letting to a tenant who is borderline on references. Either they pass referencing and qualify for rent guarantee insurance or they find another property..... I hoover up all the best tenants in my area. Thanks for the heads up.

Archived