Quick eviction

qerty

My so called quick eviction was considered by the magistrates on 16th Oct. I am 2 hundred miles away, and neither party turned up. As the tenant ows 4k in rent I was surprised they couldn't decide, and when I phoned they said it would be adjourned for 2 weeks which seemed reasonable. Now I have a letter saying it will be heard on 8th Dec.

Is this legal.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Everything is in the tenant's favour when it comes to local Courts. I assume you were represented in Court? 4th December? This problem will roll on well into the New Year so be prepared for it.

If your really desperate then try these people. They seem to know what they are doing when it comes to express evictions of Scumbag tenant's.

http://www.highcourtsolutions.co.uk/

Will the court tell me if he filed a defence? I doubt it, they play the we only work here game. Also the main reason for my not attending were treatening text messages from my tenant Mr Meyers. This man has good contacts as he is related to Meyers estate agents in Dorset, the land of con-men. With the quick eviction the scam is this: pay just over half the rent for the first three months of a new tenancy, then stop paying altogether. The experienced con-man knows he will have the first months at half price, and the next six months free.

This in fact is a really nice place and a bargin, but the law results in cheap and chearful, pack them in, nasty bedsits. And experienced landlords tell me that going through the legal system is the fastest way to go out of business. The best stratergy being sell up and move on before the charging order.

Ha ha - that estate agent is small fry - I live and work in the county - never heard of them until I saw your post.

All the big players and bully boys are in Bournemouth/Poole not flippin Poundbury and surrounds!

The court has a duty to send you documents if the tenant files a defence.

So it would seem this is an AST for how long? 6 or 12 months. Are you doing S8 or S21? If you don't tell us how can we help you?

Threats from a tenant by text can be actioned on by the police so inform them.

AST 6 months and doing S8. In fact have just asked for it to be withdrawn so I can do a S21.

I suppose I should have asked them if he filed a defence, but it looks like the magistrates would prefer a S21 so there is no comeback on them.

Police said they had contacted him and if he carried on he would be arrested; he then texted me warning me not to go to the police again. I did and the police just talked to him again. In effect the police and magistrates protect people like this, while these scumbags marvel at how easy it is to play the system.

This is not the Magistrates court but the County Court qerty.

S8 is discretionary and tenants always try to scupper it by saying there is disrepair at the property. S21 guarantees you possession when issued correctly - that is the way to go and do a small claims case for the rent debt later. Has tenant got funds? Does he work or have a nice car ( not on finance) or assets?

I doubt if they will let you withdraw S8. To do S21 you have to give 2 months notice from a rent due date so might as well carry on with the S8 - you should go to the hearing as you are more likely to get a judgement that way.

I had a tenant arrested for threatening me by voicemail and text a while back - it got him a criminal record after he had been warned by the police twice. Fine of £60 and costs - made my day!

What suprises me is that the girl in the office said it would be adjuorned for 2 weeks, and now the letter tells me I have to wait 7 weeks. They must know how much this costs.

Also in this case they also know that my tenant got 3 yrs for beating up his best mate, and the judge gave him the longest licence possible. The fact that they give a person like this the benifit of the doubt, over a landlord that who has never recieved a full months rent, just shows what an ass the law is.

Well ,well Well , Meyers ,He tried run me off the road a couple of months ago in his Fiat 500 between Dorchester and Weymouth a couple of months ago on the back road , I made a note not to use them.

Edit to add : I don't think Meyers are only ones on the "only one person could get away with this Poundbury" unless you have access to a royal flight helicopter

Sorry to hear about your encounter with Meyers. These are a family of S African thugs: a quick search will show an abducter, a father who beats people up on his bus, and another having been done for cultivating. The police in Dorset even know that Scott Meyers (my tenant) is a cocaine user, but do nothing. Having said that, police everywhere seen to ignore the known cocaine users and dealers!

How did you come to let to this scum in the first place Qerty?

Going into racist mode (not) - I would not do any business with white Afrikaaners posing as children of Empire. There are loads of them in the bigger conurbations of Dorset (the weather must attract them) and all the ones I have met are nasty, dodgy people.

Going back to the court thing. What the 'girl' tells you and what paperwork turns up are 2 different things. You have a hearing date so I recommend you go to it. The courts are a mess that is why it is so important to check tenants thoroughly yourself to make sure they are pukka.

He put on his S African accent and told me he had just come to the country, and his child got scarlet fever. At this point he had paid just over half of the first months rent. Later he told me that there was a crack in the floor, and that a friend was doing it (without asking my permission) and he would pay for it. The next day I recieve a £200 bill for the job from his joiner friend. Later still I get a bill from his plumber mate for blocked drains, but when I ask him to send me an invoice stating "who asked him to do the job", the plumber drops it, and declares that he doesn't even know him,: which everybody knows to be a lie. If I'd done an S21 he wouldn't have been able to pull the disrepair scam.

So you did not reference him at all because he was new in the UK? I have seen a few agents refuse to let to tenants from other countries because it is impossible to reference them - in that case best not to let to them.

In future only let to people who check out thoroughly.

.........and try not to believe sob stories.

Kindness is often seen a sign of weakness by some. You do need to attend the hearing to put your side of the story. Make sure you take proof that he has not paid the rent such as bank statements. If you don't attend this could go on a long time.

Mortita

You don't read too well. The Meyers are a family of SA African thugs and I see no reason why I should risk myself. This is theft as he always intended to permantly deprive me of goods or services. You seem to think the law works, and you do give some dodgy advice to other people on this forum. Are you a magistrate, or just somebody that like to mouth off.

Quote :This man has good contacts as he is related to Meyers estate agents in Dorset, the land of con-men.

What makes you think Dorset is full of conmen , I live in Dorset and am not a conman . Mortita has been a member of this forum for years and contributes valuable advice to other members ,that's what forums are for qerty you can see that he / she has posted here 1294 times and you how many ? Ah ,8,

Thanks for the defence Kerbut.

I can't imagine why Qerty has bothered asking for advice since he think he knows it all but is stuck with a non paying tenant. His loss not ours.

I've lived in Dorset since 1983 and never come across Meyers or friends of Meyers. Small town stuff in the scheme of things IMO.

Meyers have only been operating a couple of years and operate out of a white Fiat 500 , The owner of Meyers used to be with Goadsby I have been told. ,they are entirely internet based with no shop front , I think their "home" office is in one of the villages outside Dorchester.

Edit to add : I have just looked on their website ,it appears they now have a "new " office in Queen Mother Square in Poundbury. It is going to be flooded with estate agents there, Parkers, Simmons and Samson ,Kemp and coand at least 2 more.

I think the Fiat 500 is key here! If I had to have that as my company car I would kill myself.

I know Goadsby's well and they have a branch in my town. Sounds like this Meyer chancer was a negotiator with them and has started up on his own. Lots of them do that and I am amazed at what little knowledge they have which is probably why the miserable Qerty is in the situation he is.

Here is a lesson for person looking for agents. Use one that is well respected and has a proven track record not a 'new one' that has no credentials.

Mortitia, you suggest one should "get behind the courts system" yet it will put people out of business unless they have more than one house. And what divorced about people who are forced to let and get a bad tenant. I know a number of people who have lost 6 to 9 months rent and you spout this crap. Non-job self replicating bureaucrats, and the magistrate, who are just shopkeepers are %$%^&&&&& this country. If we were in the US these tenants would be living in a trailer park.

qerty please refrain from insulting other members, this is not acceptable at all.

The aim of our forum is for you guys to help and advise each other. If you beleive any other members are giving wrong advice please state why you think this may be the case, and ask a question about this rather than making offensive comments !!

We have amended your previous post.

Best wishes,

Resident

Archived