Inventory Check Out / Check in Charges

pixiebelle

I have been charged £110 (excl VAT) for a check out report and my tenant has been charged £100 (excl VAT) for a check in report on my property that I rent out. The only difference between the two reports is that the Out has been changed to In on the one report. The report took less than an hour to do. Is this normal? It seems excessive to me to charge so much money for what is basically the same report.

I'd really like your thoughts on this please.

I specifically said to the agency that I did not want a check out report done as they could not confirm the price to me, so I was not willing to agree for something to be done when I did not know how much it would cost, so I am taking that issue up separately with the agency.

I was curious to know if it is normal that the same report is issued and charged for twice?

If you specifically requested that the check-out inventory/condition not be done and you have a copy of that letter/email then you have no invoice to pay and neither has your tenant. You should make this quite clear to your LA and the reason why you have no liability to pay them.

Yes, £110 plus VAT is excessive but their charges would have to be clear and transparent in order that any landlord/tenant would be in no doubt what the payment would be.

In terms of whether it's unreasonable or not; it takes myself and wife about an hour to do either report on a two bed unfurnished cottage. Doing my day job I charge my time out (including use of my premises and equipment at £30 per hour) so I'm putting it at £60.00 then there's travelling time which could be say a further £30, at to that admin and mileage, it could well be justified. I certainly wouldn't try and fight it through any legal process.

Assuming the jobs been done properly, the fact that the two reports are indentical indicates that you have had damn good tenants.

Dave

Thank you all for your replies.

I put my query out there as I was merely curious. I'm not contesting that both a check in and check out report should be paid for, I was just surprised that the estate agents inventory clerk can make one report on the same day and change one word on it and then charge twice for it, which adds up to about £200/hour and I just wondered if this was standard.

I do have a dispute with the estate agent as they have charged me for the check out report because as they could not confirm a price to me for this, I specifically told them not to do it, however I have been charged for it now. They have all the paperwork, so hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

And yes, the tenant was brilliant. I was very sad to see her go.

Archived