No extractor fans

insulation guy

I have recently helped move my partners daughter into her new uni digs,there are single glazed sash and case windows and sandstone and lathe and plaster walls .

There is no extractor in the bathroom and the extractor in the kitchen area has been taped over and I'm a bit worried about condensation . I don't know the rules and regulations regarding this matter and I'm hoping one of you could advise. The property is in Edinburgh.

Thanks in advance

Building regs for the bathroom only applies to builds where it was a requirement under the current build regs. at the time.

Some people do put in an extractor in if they have a damp/condensation problem but most people with no means of extraction just open a window to produce a draught of drying air and the release of water vapour.

The kitchen extractor may just require you to remove the sealing tape? Is it electric or just an air vent?

Concur with all above. You need to check Scottish building regs. - after Thursday 18th!

To my knowledge extractors are only insisted on (in England) under current regulations for new builds of any room with water supply (e.g. bathroom, kitchen, utility room). Make sure (request landlord if necessary) windows are able to be opened as required during and after use of water, and there should not be a problem, especially if kitchen fan has been taped up to stop those fierce Scottish winds blowing in. The windows may benefit from regular wipe dry to avoid condensation running down to frames and cills.

Archived