non resident landlords

kanrent

i know this is supposed to be a residential landlord site but i will make a coment anyway.

i was contenplating another 300,000 pound buy to let investment in the uk but after reading about the goverments intensions to abolish the personel allowance for non residents i have decided to take that money out of the country and invest in foriegn property, many non resident landlords are trying to survive abroad on just one rental property in the uk, this will drive most of them back to the uk and as an aging population they will put an extra strain on the health service.

the goverment has already stopped CGT relief for non residents, and also health care for non residents now the personal allowance, i feel this is a total spiteful vendetta against aging expats who who's only desire is to escape the uk winters.

I feel this is a total spiteful vendetta against aging expats who who's only desire is to escape the uk winters.

-------------------------------------------------------

Wait until the Government take away your £200 heating allowance for ex-pats.

How you spend your money is your choice. The only strain being put on the NHS, Schools and other Government organisations is the EU open door policy to EU Immigration and a virtually helpless Home Office policy of removing illegal immigrants who have no right to remain in the UK..

Agree Mel - I'm fed up with these whining ex pats who thought they were sooo clever bailing out for a life of sangria and sun while we all worked our butts off.

Now most of them can't afford to come back to the cold and inhospitable place that spawned them and we don't need them!

Wow you read more than I did there Mortitia.

I would agree with you but for the fact if I could be I would be so then I would be a hypocrite.

Mind I am p*ssed at the ways our Gov't are looking to get our money.

Now it looks like I need to start saving so I can pay the tax on the assets I 'might' pass on when I snuff it.

So if I pay the tax on my earned and tax paid for goodies and then snuff it when their value is reduced, due to a slump for example, will I get a tax refund? Something to look forward to I suppose.

Agree Mel - I'm fed up with these whining ex pats who thought they were sooo clever bailing out for a life of sangria and sun while we all worked our butts off.

Now most of them can't afford to come back to the cold and inhospitable place that spawned them and we don't need them!

do i detect a note of jealousy, it's your choice to work your butt off

Everyone pays tax whether your alive or dead.

Nobody wins in this Country or anywhere else and that's a fact.

My Kid's won't escape paying a large inheritance tax bill when I'm gone. Totally unavoidable in my case. Just another broken Tory promise from 2010.. remember? The Tories vowed to put IHT threshold up to a £million pound and then promptly dropped the whole idea once they were in power.

I pay a huge amount of tax and some of it I wouldn't mind to where it actually goes to but this Government and ALL Governments just can't wait to waste it all away and that is what makes me so mad!!

Just to balance the argument.......I'm one person in the UK who isn't that dissatisfied at the amount of tax I pay.

I do put a lot of effort into ensuring the amount is kept as low as possible so perhaps in that respect, I'm the odd one out.

I guess we'd all like to pay less......and one day once we've solved hunger, homelessness, illness, old age, crime and rid the world of all those nasty landlords.....we just might achieve it.

i would like to point out that im not a foreiner im british/english my grandfather died in the 1st world war and both my parents fought in the second world war, i already pay tax in the uk, im not trying to get out of paying i just dont think i should pay more than any other british citizen

Mel: May I remind you (and any ex-pats getting wrong impression) that Tory's are not in power. UK has Coalition Gov. at present.

I don't know enough about ex-pats to comment, but would hope they have same rules as me regarding paying fair dues for UK services available to them.

Having relations who defended UK 70 or 100 years ago is becoming a thin argument for those of us fortunate enough to be here to support UK now, and that could include ex-pats out there, busily defending our current UK interests and security.

The tax rules are always changing.......they have in the past and they will in the future......you just have to accept that fact, learn to roll with the punches and organise your life around what is best for you.

Moaning will have no effect whatsoever.

You get your chance to change things once every 5 years at the general election.

Lots of those that moan don't bother to vote.

Mel: May I remind you (and any ex-pats getting wrong impression) that Tory's are not in power. UK has Coalition Gov. at present.

OK I'll rephrase that statement. Conservative ( Tory ) led Coaliton Governement with the Liberal Democrats hanging onto their shirt tails.

It's a Tory Prime Minister who has the biggest shout on all Government policy.

along with a Tory Chancellor and Tory Foreign Secretary & Tory Home Secretary, Tory Defence Minister and so on.

Looks pretty powerful to me I have to say. :D

do i detect a note of jealousy, it's your choice to work your butt off

Definitely not jealous - I get to travel a bit further than the average ex pat in the course of a year.

In the last 2 years I have shown several 'returners' rented property only to hear the same cry of 'rents are so expensive now and we can't afford it' (they had all sold property before leaving) and one couple who wanted to rent whilst the wife underwent treatment at a local hospital for two months - her right.

I suppose this will be a new underclass in the making.

Archived