Completion Statement - Mistakes

Richlist

Anyone had any experience of errors with their sale completion statement. More particularly with apportionment of service charges and ground rents.

I paid the service charges and ground rents in advance of completion. I advised my solicitor providing details and receipts proving payments had been made and asked them to apportion costs on completion.

Unfortunately they have incorrectly calculated the amount the buyer should have paid me. I'm short of around £90. I have informed the solicitor and await their reply.

Anyone know what usually happens in this situation ?

My buyers have left on a 2 month extended holiday now and are probably not contactable.

Do the solicitors have to front up the money ?

If it is the solicitors fault and clearly incorrect I would demand it from them. Bandy around a complaint to the law society and ombudsman may focus their thinking as it would cost them more than 90 quid in their time to reply to all the paperwork.

As secretary of a management company I have just been asked to fill out a standard Law Society form for assigning a lease due to sale. It quite clearly asks on the form what fees/ground rents etc are due and what will be paid by date X.

Assuming the vendor produced this form the mistake must be with the solicitor and therefore they are liable. £90 - small fry in solicitor terms - but they won't offer until you claim.

I also act as managing agent for a handful of blocks and am amazed how the solicitors come to their calculations when it is left to them to work out the figures. I find it is normally just small amounts though.

Archived