Fire escape

Charlottewalker21

I have a block of flats, 5 floors converted from a Victorian house in 1986. There is an ancient fire escape that is now unsafe. There is a half hour fire protected internal stairway, mains smoke alarms and emergency lighting. I have been quoted £25000 to replace the fire escape which serves only 4 flats. Can I do without it, or put in other provision such as fire alarms or sprinklers which would work out far less expensive?

For something so important as this I don't think it is advisable to make a decision based on a public forum.

You need professional independent advice from someone who is qualified in this field. If you do the wrong thing here and someone gets killed in a fire you will very likely get a prison sentence.

Yes, professional advice required here.

I would say though that you will probably find that you are under an obligation to provide an independant means of escape from high rise buildings via the external fire escape so you might have no other option and bearing in mind there is already a fire escape fitted you may have to replace like for like under the many Health & Safety rules that exist now in local Council departments.

Concur with above comments.

You could consult your local authority Building Regs department. But I would get more than one opinion if you can, because for H&S reasons most experts are likely to say that you should replace. Try to find out what regs and legislation your responding experts are using, so that you can verify for yourself on gov. internet.

It's probably better to check regulations first. Fire Brigade recommendations may exceed legislation, and once given client may have obligation to comply.

£25K does seem expensive (but I have no idea) - suggest get several quotes but ensure compliance with any building standards.

I don't think £25K is overly expensive.

* To be replaced in steel

* X5 floors....so very high

* Almost certain to require scaffolding

* Needs survey & drawings for the manufacturers

* Will need fabricating off site

* Delivery

* Probably needs a crane & on site assembly

* A week to install with a few guys doing the install.

* Safety certificate

* etc etc

Think about the amount of work required......

• 2 weeks later...

Archived