PAT Tests

MarkyW

My agent automatically arranges a PAT test for each of my properties every year (unfurnished properties, white goods included). I understand that this is not a legal requirement but I wondered whether one every year was a little excessive - what do other landlords do?

I don't do them.

A way round it is to just hardwire the cable from the appliance into the socket which means just changing the front plate on the socket.

This is what the EH at my council wanted done for plug in heaters otherwise they wanted PAT tests done annually.

Generally I do my own electrical testing. There are a lot of DIY testers available & most landlords can do the following quite easily either annually or during voids:

* Operate the test button on the main consumer unit to ensure the trips are all working.

* Visually check wiring on portable devices for damage, loose clamps etc .

* Visually check sockets & switches for damage, burning.

* Use a plug in socket tester.

* Check correct fuse ratings are being used.

* Ensure the tenant is not overloading sockets.

etc etc.

Some new installations require part P certification which has to be complied with.

Well, I am or at least I was a qualified & certified PAT tester.

I do believe you have to keep a register of items of electrical equipment that have been subjected to a PAT test and yes it is valid for one year. Each item subject to testing and passing inspection has to have a small green sticky certificate attached the appliance tested dated and initialled with a serial number which will cross refer to the book register.

In an unfurnished property, as mentioned by Grampa, it is advisable to hardwire everything that you can hardwire and not to have any portable appliances supplied ( which I don't ) to avoid the annual PAT test and of course the cost incurred.

The only thing I do test each year is the washing machine (s) and record it even if I don't own the machine as I do have experience of washing machines killing people so, for me, it is just purely for peace of mind.

Well that's all very well Melboy BUT........assuming the properties are NOT HMO's.... just so there is no confusion:

1. There is no legal requirement for PAT or any electrical testing so, there is no need to 'avoid' annual or any other testing....it just is not required legally.

2. There is certainly no legal requirement on the part of the landlord to test any items in the property supplied & owned by tenants.

Anyone doing so is doing it voluntarily or as a requirement of doing business with their lettings agent.

The law on PAT testing is so confusing. Who do you believe? I can recall many years ago being told by my letting agent that "it's the law" and having to have many appliances tested and certified at great cost ( then ) when I did fully furnished walk- in - walk- out rentals.

If you read this link then you would perhaps be in no doubt that it is a legal requirement but there is nowhere where it actually states it is a cast iron requirement.

http://www.pat-testing.info/landlords.htm

I let one of mine furnished and when I asked my usual electrician if he did PAT testing he said 'buying the meter to do it was too costly' for the amount he was asked to do - must have been taking the *iss then?

I was told that once as well Mortitia and it's a load of old cobbler's. Electricians should carry more tools of the trade than a set of screwdriver's and a pair of pliers.

How do people think gas engineers get on when they have to not only buy gas testing equipment at circa. £750 but also have to have it calibrated regularly at additional cost. Just part of their kit they carry.

Meter too expensive Mortitia? An electrician I knew would hire a PAT meter when he had collected a group of clients (e.g. schools) needing periodic tests.

To my knowledge PAT is not compulsory for landlords but determined by policy of landlord / agent / employer etc. If a policy of PAT is adopted, I'm informed by electricians who do these tests that plugged-in white goods should be included. Testers recommend every year (wouldn't they?!) but in practice frequency is to client's discretion.

Tenants' own plug-in equipment is their responsibility.

NB. Richlist's list of his electrical testing is not full PAT testing (he didn't say it was!), which requires accurate current loss and resistance measurements between various leads and connections of appliances, apart from inspections for loose connectors, old style non-insulated plug pins etc..

PAT is not to be confused with building installation electrical testing which covers outlet sockets, trips, distribution boxes etc. - applied to public buildings and business sites, etc.

More info on H&SE website.

I celebrate 25 years this August of living in my self built house. I've never had any PAT testing done on anything and I've never had a buildings electrical test carried out on this or any of my other properties in the last 40 years. Even when buying, like thousands of others, I don't have an electrical survey.

Yes I've had electrical work carried out.....additions, modifications, extensions, improvements but none of it required to be certificated.

I'm no different to hundreds of thousands of other owner occupiers who have never had any electrical testing done and have never had a problem of any kind.

Yes we all have to ensure our rental properties are safe but I do think this whole business is seriously overdone. Before anyone tells me that it only takes one small electrical problem to cause a fire, I think there are many other aspects of life that carry a higher risk of death or injury which are never dealt with properly.

Until electrical testing is made compulsory I'll probably carry on the same way. I am cautious, I check when & what I can, I don't take chances or knowingly cut corners and I accept the risk as being very, very small.

Archived