Getting your tenants bond

Shazbot04

A few months ago I had a really bad tenant in my property. I went through an agent so the bond has been dealt with correctly. The tenant fell into arrears and owes over 1k the place was filthy and there was damage to 2 wood floors. And ripped wallpaper in 3 rooms. I have carried out most repairs myself and have receipts of £150.00 up to now for cleaning and decorating materials. The tenant left a garden full of rubbish from old sofas to kids toys and a 10ft trampoline and claiming frame. I work for a company with vans so we all mucked in and cleared the garden so there is no receipt for this. I'm currently updating the kitchen so did not want to replace flooring till workmen have finished so don't have recipes for this. It has been 3 months now and I have requested the bond from the agent and I'm being told that unless the tenant agrees I can't have this bond if she disputes this, which she will as she is scum. I have asked the question even if the tenant is in arrears and the answer is yes and this can go on for7 years I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my entire life. Please can someone shed some light on this.

Firstly it is not necessarily so that the deposit is dealt with correctly because you left it with the agent. Let's hope it was dealt with correctly but in law the responsibility for the deposit or bond lies with the LANDLORD - that is you so learn up so you will be more in control if this happens again.

Did you have an inventory done at the start of tenancy? If so you should have taken photos of condition at end of tenancy and compare showing to the deposit holder. Simples. This should get you funds to pay for the damage.

If you have no inventory then it will be an uphill struggle to get money back from the deposit. Take photos of the damage and rubbish with a view to making a 'moneyclaim online' (google it) against the tenant at a later date.

Sometimes it is just easier to accept you made a mistake and move on.

A new addition to my not to be considered list:

Youngsters

Anyone with a pet bigger than I can hold in my closed hand (excluding insects)

Unemployed

Sob stories

Bitter low achieving losers

Scum with trampolines and too many sofas.

We live and learn

Dave

I'm looking for a 10ft trampoline.....can you deliver (Essex) ?

If you take rent guarantee insurance the criteria needed to qualify will filter out some of those on your list.....youngsters, unemployed.

Asking for a home owning guarantor will usually exclude some more.....low achievers scum.

The rest relies on you having a check list and sticking to it.

Good luck

ps Sunday is a good day for me for trampoline delivery. B)

We have all been there Dave A which is why landlord's do become hardened in their attitude when dealing with tenant's.

This is why it is so important to follow the correct tried and trusted paperwork procedure of who you are actually going to give your property to and even then there is no cast iron guarantee that you won't have problems.

Richlists checking list is as good as it gets for limiting any future problems........not guaranteed though.

I had a "nice lady" called Chelsea phone up today enquiring about a property we have that is £1000 pcm this is how the conversation went.

G Who would be living in the property I ask.

T Me and my partner.

G Do you have any children.

T Yes

G How many and how old?

T 10 , 8 & 1

G Do you have any pets?

T Yes

G What are they?

T Two smallish dogs.

G What breed are they?

T Pitbulls but they are very well behaved and will be in their cages most of the time.

G Have you rented a property before?

T No never

G Where have you been living up to now with your children?

T Oh with my parents, never rented before.

G Let me take your number and I will get back to you if something suitable for your needs comes in

It was like getting blood out of a stone. Anyway they are moving in next week. ;)

There was a full inventory done and the bond has been properly secured. The problem I am having is, I moved the stuff myself rather than pay someone to do it. Does this mean I can still claim? Also what is an exceptable amount for house and garden clearance if I don't have a receipt. I have recipets for about £350 this is for 2 new carpets and cleaning materials but what about my time and me moving the items. The inventory clearly states room by room the filth she even stole my light bulbs and shelving from a cupboard.

For all interested in the trampoline the scrap man took it so he had a good pay week that week with the metal left in the garden.

I had a "nice lady" called Chelsea phone up today enquiring about a property we have that is £1000 pcm this is how the conversation went.

G Who would be living in the property I ask.

T Me and my partner.

G Do you have any children.

T Yes

G How many and how old?

T 10 , 8 & 1

G Do you have any pets?

T Yes

G What are they?

T Two smallish dogs.

G What breed are they?

T Pitbulls but they are very well behaved and will be in their cages most of the time.

G Have you rented a property before?

T No never

G Where have you been living up to now with your children?

T Oh with my parents, never rented before.

G Let me take your number and I will get back to you if something suitable for your needs comes in

It was like getting blood out of a stone. Anyway they are moving in next week. ;)

Whaaaat! Not your property I would imagine Grampa? Is the landlord of this property agreeing to this?

Oh no no no

Whaaaat! Not your property I would imagine Grampa? Is the landlord of this property agreeing to this?

Oh no no no no no (as Churchhill the dog would say) They are probably still waiting for my return phone call. I wouldnt touch them with a s____y stick.

My radar went ping within 30sec of talking to them. Well it first went ping at hearing the name Chelsea and was going like the clappers upon hearing about dogs in cages. I hate to think what would have happens if they said they had a trampoline.

But generally speaking if any potential tenant says they has being living with parents my ears prick up and I like to dig a bit further than normal specially if they are of the age they where they are unlikely to have always been living with them due to age, kids etc.

The problem I am having is, I moved the stuff myself rather than pay someone to do it. Does this mean I can still claim? Also what is an exceptable amount for house and garden clearance if I don't have a receipt. I have recipets for about £350 this is for 2 new carpets and cleaning materials but what about my time and me moving the items.

Unfortunately landlords cannot claim for their own time when doing anything for their own lettings business. You can claim your costs e.g. cleaning materials, mileage, contractors charges etc.

I also have doubts as to the legality of landlords clearing tenants furniture and household effects from rented property. If the landlord takes stuff to the local council tip they may need a licence to dispose of the waste as its deemed commercial waste.

Waste licences are easily obtained in my part of Essex and it may be worthwhile ALL landlords applying for one in order to ensure they comply with waste disposal rules if/when they need to clear a property.

Grampa - this Chelsea (probably Chelsey) woman don't touch her with s/stick on any other implement :ph34r: - she is a clone - I see at least one of these a week and they are all trouble!

If you do see her she/partner/kids will be wearing some item of Burberry clothing.........or the dog will!

It does make you wonder if it wasn't just a wind-up telephone call.

Who would honestly take on a tenant like that ?

Archived