Tracing for Debt Collection.

Carryon Regardless

Aside from doing my own leg work, and a little use of Experian in the past, I haven't much experience of the tracing services of companies.

I've decided that with well over £14k outstanding from the years of T's that can't, don't pay, then naff off it's time to selectively catch up with a handful.

Last evening I used up my 10 free daily 192.com searches with no positive results. I am considering Findermonkey.com. Both useful tips from here. Before I start shelling out the £59 odd on each successful search I thought there might be value in returning to you good and experienced folk for tips, guidance..... any input really.

Clearly there is little point, other than satisfaction, of chasing those with nowt. Although as I understand if we fail to pursue then after 6 years they have escaped any chance of us getting anything. Here I am 'selectively' aiming to catch a couple prior to that period having expired.

I have 3 CCj's that have had no satisfaction. Grampa's suggestion was to not use the County Court Bailiff here but the Sheriffs Bailiff :) , as they are far more aggressive with their legal activities. First of course I need to trace my debtors.

Thoughts please.

Well most trace companies dont charge if they dont find them so I guess you need to find the cheapest company.

I would start looking for the ex-tenants who are more likely to be working or have some stability.

I have started using a debt collector as a last resort. I have used him for 4 debts so far and he has collected on all of them. The latest being this week with a tenant bringing in 3k in cash. :)

He is not cheap but you only pay on what he collects (20%) where most DC charge a up front feE followed by a %. My AST's also have it stated that the tenant is reponsible for any DC fees.

A lot depends Cor on whether your debtor has funds or assets?

My neighbour used Findermonkey recently at my suggestion and got a direct hit with someone who owed him £8K and reckoned he lived in the Cayman Islands - turned out he lived in Worthing! Money paid up.

The High Court Sheriff thing on BBC1 is highly amusing but they don't always collect and seem a bit lenient in making return visits. IMO

Sheriff's Court charge £60 to serve High Court judgements against debtor's.

Worth a go I would suggest. They have much more power's of seizure than a County Court Bailliff.

Archived