Rental Guarantee Schemes.

Melboy

Yet another scheme which doesn't always end up too well by the looks of it.

The last comments make interesting reading about the missing £400,000 and of course who doesn't get paid........ why the landlord of course !!

Thanks goodness I always fly solo !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/buy-to-let/10718950/Landlords-warned-of-rental-guarantee-pitfalls.html

There is no way I would or could allow someone to rent out my property as a middle man whereby I had no control over who was living there. I am a self confessed control freak.

There are so many ads on this site and others that should ring alarm bells. 'Set up your own letting agency in 4 weeks' is one I have seen recently. One can only imagine how that might end to the unlucky investor.

Control and command! (or is it the other way around?)

I agree and it could be very messy if it goes pear shaped.

But the below quote raises the question of how much liabilty does a freehold landlord bear for the actions or inactions of a leaseholder tenant who then rents his flat out in the normal way?

"Mr Peaker also pointed out that landlords can't escape their responsibilities by handing over their property to a guaranteed rent firm. If the property is overcrowded, not fire safe, or becomes an unlicensed HMO (house in multiple occupation), the landlord could be fined up to £20,000 by the council."

Archived