Forwarding Addresses for Outgoing Tenants

Richlist

I have never had any problems with obtaining forwarding addresses for outgoing tenants. I tell them I need it :

* for the return of their deposit.

* in order to forward any mail.

* to give to the utility companies.

I guess it helps that my tenants deposits are held by my lettings agent....who are registered for deposit protection.

Do others have problems with getting forwarding addresses ?

If so, what do you do to get them ?

The only slight flaw in this is that a tenant can give any address for the re-direction of mail etc.

My tenant, who has just moved out, has given his Mother's address. Perfectly legal but not where they will be actually living I suspect.

A difficult one this, we had a young couple leave. There was no official grievence as such, but they felt unhappy about as as landlords, as we had shown little interest in sorting out their slobbish lifestyle induced problems. They left in a bit of a huff, without really wanting to give us a forwarding address. It was lucky that we did get one as they had failed to pay the Council tax for a period. I did feel quite warm passing their new address onto the council. Only trying to be helpful, you understand.

I told them it was required to arrange repayment of the deposit. How you aquire it officially I don't know.

Dave

How you aquire it officially I don't know.

Dave

Easy if they are DSS as the DSS have all details of where the money is going to plus national insurance numbers etc.

No address.....No money.

Incidently I always take the tenant's NI number because there is no escape from hiding from the authorities.

You can be tracked down very easy with your NI number including the maiden name of any married woman.

We have a clause in our contracts that the tenant agrees to their forwarding address to be passed over by the council or utility companies if they leave the property with monies owing.

I have only used it twice to ask the council for the forwarding address first time I was given it without question the second they wouldn't after speaking to their legal team. So I have now drawn up a separate agreement as a deed stating the same. This is a very short doc and signed at the beginning of the tenancy along side the AST. I have yet to try it out yet though but it should carry a lot more weight than a 2 line clause slipped in a AST.

Easy if they are DSS as the DSS have all details of where the money is going to plus national insurance numbers etc.

No address.....No money.

Incidently I always take the tenant's NI number because there is no escape from hiding from the authorities.

You can be tracked down very easy with your NI number including the maiden name of any married woman.

Melboy we take NI numbers also but is it possible for the man in the street (or landlord/agent) to make use of it to track down a tenant?

No I don't think it is possible for man or woman in street to track via NI number - but it is necessary if you want to make an attachment of earnings debt repayment when you have a judgement.

I've never had trouble getting forwarding addresses accept where tenants leave in disgrace - but they soon turn up on 192.com or similar.

Melboy we take NI numbers also but is it possible for the man in the street (or landlord/agent) to make use of it to track down a tenant?

Weeeeell it is..... if you know what I mean.... but you have to be very careful where you obtain this information from.

Is it legal? no :D but everything cross references especially addresses and phone numbers.

Archived