Fracking......Will it affect YOUR property value ?

Richlist

I'm sure they had all the same questions when the railways started and the same with coal mining.

Quite possibly but, adverse public opinion, rumour, negative facts and genuine fear all add up to potential bad news if you are in the geographical regions where fracking is going to take place.

Personally I wouldn't rush to buy in a fracking area any more than I would buy in an area that is now at a higher risk of flooding or subsidence.

Wait until the mortgage lenders get the negative risk assessments in and we'll see if prices are likely to take a turn for the worse.

On the other hand is fracking likely to help toward this ?

Fracking Brings Employment And Economic Revival - Paul Driessen - Page full

Extra demand for accommodation could cause a local property boom in these areas, till they collapse with the feared tremours.

I'm sure it will all end in tears though. What about the underground aquifers? Will they know where they are pumping this high pressure fracking process?

Good point COR - for every down there is an up! Personally I try not to go with the 'we're all doomed' attitude.

Well, Mortitia is was not a good start when they were test fracking in the North West as it caused at least two minor earthquakes and it had to be stopped.

I will keep an open mind on the question for the time being but remember this the UK is not the USA which has vast open landscapes for fracking. We don't.

Personally I try not to go with the 'we're all doomed' attitude.

Me neither.

But I do think:

1. Being cautious is the right approach......until we know more.

2. That anyone in a fracking area might have problems with property values/ mortgage availability/ ability to sell etc and prices may well fall in those areas in the near future.

3. Buyers might be well advised to think very carefully......just as they would if considering buying on a flood plain.

Archived