Meet the Landlords

Richlist

This Thursday......July 18th BBC1 at 10.35pm program = Meet the Landlords

Looks like an attempt to redress the balance by reporting the problems of being one of the 8.5 million landlords in Britain

Seems it predominantly covers those letting to benefits tenants......so is unlikely to help me much but, I know there are a few regulars here who have benefits tenants. If nothing more, I'll be able to add to my list of reasons to give this class of tenant a wide berth.

There are a few around RL. I have a very good one, mind you he is ex-service and a mature person and he is very very good.

He has painted out his bedroom very expertly and last week gave me hand to trim some high trees and he also did a few other jobs for me.... well, for himself I guess and he is an exception to the rule but I do take your point I wouldn't normally let to your average DSS person.

Well we get enough media types on here wanting us to wash our dirty linen in public and share with the nation so let's see what they have come up with?

I would like to see stats for England and Wales on how many HB tenants there are, how many in private lets and how many are 'bad tenants' in both private and council sectors.

It was nice to see a programme that showed some sympathy toward LL's.

Aside from the naive though the guy with the large portfolio fits into the stereo type of a LL that takes the money with no concern for his T's. You have to understand that side of the industry to recognise that those T's were abusers. You would have to understand why bedroom ceilings were damp though.

I agree with your comments COR......and it totally reinforces my absolute refusal to deal with that class of tenant. I've never had an affinity for the poor, unemployed or underclasses of society.

Bedroom cieling ? Well it was a bathroom I believe.......so my guess is condensation due to lack of ventillation ie tenant didn't open the window.

Unfortunately I fell asleep before end, but it seemed to me that programme made excellent case for local authorities to make rental deals for private owned social housing direct with landlords prepared to do so, and pay landlords agreed sum direct, rather than through tenants who may have limited HB funds, often diverted for immediate needs, like food, and not available on time.

With great respect to majority of good tenants and landlords (inc agents), HB tenants will inevitably include the bottom rung of any class ladder (and below), whilst their landlords will inevitably include tough guys with big folios for whom money is prime, and maybe only, business focus.

Should these opposite extremes of personality even be allowed to have direct relationship? Wouldn't it work better for all, if LA social housing care expertise was a properly unbiased intermediary buffer in between (rather than favour their tenants as now)?

Wouldn't it work better for all, if LA social housing care expertise was a properly unbiased intermediary buffer in between (rather than favour their tenants as now)?

Yes it would but its never going to happen in my opinion.

More chance that we'll solve world hunger, stop all wars and have zero rough sleepers on the streets.

Archived