Tenant not moved in but paying rent

Mrsrigsby

We signed up a new tenant 3 months ago & they have still not moved in. They have put a couple of bits of furniture in the house & some tools in the garage but that's it. To our knowledge they have been to the property for a few minuets a couple of times. Would this effect our insurance should anything happen? Burglary leaks etc. During voids our property's are checked weekly but obviously wouldnt do this with a tenant supposedly in situ but I'm not happy having an unoccupied property. Any thoughts ? The rent is paid regularly & no it's not a drug den - it's a middle aged couple.

Would this effect our insurance should anything happen? Burglary leaks etc.

Yes probably.

Many buildings/ contents policies have a maximum unoccupied period so best to check your policies or talk with your insurers.

The exception to this, as far as I'm aware, is leasehold property where buildings cover is a block policy provided by the freeholder/ managing agents. In this case I'm not aware of any restriction on occupancy periods.

One of the requirement of an Assured shorthold tenancy is the property is used as the tenants principle home and if not it isn't an AST.

If it isn't a AST it can only be a Assured tenancy of a common law tenancy.

I have a block policy that requires, among other points, "property is occupied" and "no future unoccupancy of more than 30 days anticipated".

As Richlist states, best to check your policy, and if in doubt consult insurers about situation. Also ask tenants why so long to move in as you need to know for this reason.

I wonder if they are waiting for their property sale to go through?

Quite popular these days for older persons to sell a property take the money and then rent. Inheritance tax?

Archived