New landlord in need of advice!

Charlie0901

Hi there!

In need of some help.

My tenants moved in four days ago. They want me to provide and pay for plumbing for their washing machine.

There is a gap in the units however no plumbing. They signed the tenancy agreement and the property is in exactly the same condition as when they signed. According to my agent they 'assumed' there was. My agent isn't very helpful and feel as though they aren't 'on my side'.

I just need some help as to where I stand with this.

Thanks in advance!

Well you can either say no and the tenants are likely to leave at the soonest opportunity. You can let them have the plumbing done at their expense but you may get shoddy workmanship. Or you can do the sensible thing and arrange for it to be done after all the cost isn't great.

It makes the property more desirable to rent in the future does wonders for tenant relations and after all it wasn't unreasonable of the tenants to expect the plumbing to be there unless they were told otherwise.

If it were me I'd get the plumbing done. Having plumbing for a washing m/c is an asset HOWEVER.......just make sure your tenants are aware this is a one off. You don't want to end up jumping every time your tenant shouts 'FROG'.

I would agree with Grampa. it would be best to sort this out by getting the plumbing done yourself or overseeing the works put in place by the tenant - however thats risky.

it could also be a selling point to your next agent that the next tenants are free to move in machines there due to new plumbing?

if you're in London I have a great construction company I'll give you their number if you want it.

- really though the agent should have checked as soon as the idea was put forward.

If there was an obvious space for a washing machine then the plumbing should be installed. It does make you wonder why there was no plumbing inthe first place? It's your house so how did you get on with no washing machine installed?

Not just the plumbing of course you need an electrical connection point as well.

I believe that tenants can expect a 600mm space or larger for the installation of their washing machine in their tenancy unless it is specifically stated that there isn't one and I also believe if there isn't plumbing installed you will seriously affect the number of people who would want your property.

You don't need a plumber.......if you can't DIY get yourself a good, reliable handyman. There are lots of good people around who can turn their hands to most things.

Best to go by recommendation.......talk to friends, family, neighbours etc.....someone will know a person they can recommend to you.

Archived