Im a newbie! Credit Checks for tenants getting LHA

Leannmartin1

Hi,

Im new to all of this and was wondering whether anybody would be able to help me please.

I am in the process of letting out a property of mine. The tenant that is interested has been put forward to me through our councils Bond Scheme and her LHA will be getting paid directly to me.

With this is mind and my prospective tenants current situation, should I still be carrying out the standard credit check before I accept her?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :blink:

I can guarantee if you do credit check them it will come back negative.

Many on this site and others will not take council bond scheme types with good reason.

Be prepared for the worst

I once did this scheme many moons ago and ended up with a trashed property that cost more than the bond to repair - never again.

Is there some valid reason that you don't want to let to working, referencable individuals who are likely to pass credit refs, pay the rent and act in a tenant like manner?

I actually like the council bond scheme more the than the normal deposit scheme. For me it is easier to claim from if a dispute, than from the DPS or TDS.

This maybe because I deal with the council a lot, I don't know but it works well for me. But please note the scheme varies from council to council.

Is there some valid reason that you don't want to let to working, referencable individuals who are likely to pass credit refs, pay the rent and act in a tenant like manner?

For many new & inexperienced landlords these systems offer what appear to be an easy, no hassle, less work, to good to be true way into earning money from property.......don't be fooled into believing there are short cuts to hard works and basic checks.

Archived