check-in report disagreement

widwarts

Forgive what may be a simple question but am renting a property for the first time.

I am having disagreement with the letting agent over the check-in report.

1) The agent indicated marks on carpet (slight), and a scratch on fridge (etc) and I have asked for detail to be included eg size and number of marks on carpet. My rationale being these need to be distinguishable from any others that may appear during the tenancy

2) The check-in included that the fridge (turned off, defrosted 5 months ago) had a drawer filled with water. Am I correct in thinking common sense would suggest this is not included in the check-in report?

I have also asked that the check-in report includes the detail that there are no holes/marks on the walls and to make good any picture hanging but she has refused.

The agent is an arla member but so far my experience has been one of constant battling. I have asked for amendments to be made and am refused whereas the tenant can make suggested amends. Can you advise whether I am in a position to suggest amendments to this check-in?

many thanks

Ann

As you are paying the Agents Salary Anne I would have thought that any reasonable request would be carried out and I don't see anything that you are asking for as being unreasonable.

Insist on it as being part of the check-in and remind them who is paying for the service.

Mel.

Hi Ann,

The check-in report should be an agreed document between TENANT and LANDLORD.

Of course you should be able to amend it and the tenant should be able to comment on your amendments.

Just goes to show that even ARLA membership doesn't necessarily mean good customer service in the letting agent industry !!

Mark

Many thanks for the comments. I have received another copy (without spelling mistakes this time :D )

She has still refused to make the amends I requested. It is helpful to know that the agreement is between landlord and tenant and not landlord an agent. Some of the comments have not been helpful and at least I know now I can reject them firmly.

Thanks again

Ann

Archived