Buying a carpet cleaner

Elmfield

I have recently bought a VAX carpet cleaning machine for £145 at Currys (with cleaning fluid included) and very effective it is too.

You would not believe the amount of muck in some carpets.

I have no idea if it is tax deductable - but where tenants leave, don't clean carpets and I want a quick turn around it is well worth it.

With one property you might struggle to convince HMRC that the purchase is solely for your rental business.....if you had, say,10 properties it would make more sense. With one property it might be more cost effective to pay a carpet cleaning firm.

The purchase can be offset against rental income.......but with one property I don't see as you could claim more than 30% or 40% of the cost.

When I need one I hire one. £30 for the day and I do my own house carpets as well. The pro machines are brilliant at getting carpets cleaned up.

I do have a Vax cleaner but it is never as good as the pro machine.

There is nothing wrong with having your own gear its just that it ain't gonna get used much.

I've got a George made by Numatic.....the same people who do the Henry vacuum cleaners. They cost around £150-£170 and do a good job.

Sometimes if its just one carpet that needs cleaning I get someone in to do it instead.....cos:

1. It don't cost much

2. I can usually get some or all the cost back from the outgoing tenants.

3. It saves me lugging the equipment up a few flights of stairs to the flat.

4. The bit I pay is tax deductable.

5. Its a ''bit of a no brainer' as the saying goes.

I have two flats but just one to clean.

WOW.....a self cleaning flat ? I want one of those. :D

I guess if i hired a cleaner that would be tax deductable.

You don't have to guess......its a definite yes.

Alternatively......if its the tenants that have made it dirty, get them to clean it or pay the bill for the cleaner.

Archived