Victory with Money claim online (MCOL) over the DPS

Mortitia

Last June I evicted non paying tenants via Section 21 who had gone on benefits and were spending the claimed money on lifestyle rather than rent.

They left and trashed the property. Having heard how the DPS often favours tenants and knowing my tenants' favourite gambit of running to Shelter crying wolf I did MCOL to get the deposit in full paid to me - thus sidestepping the DPS's arbitration scheme.

My application to MCOL specifically asked the judgement to include the wording ' the DPS do pay the claimant the deposit' however the wording given in the judgement in January this year ( defendant did not complete the papers) was inadequate and the DPS asked for another judgement.

At this point ( with steam coming out of my ears) I was told by MCOL that a clerical worker and not a judge had made my judgement and this is quite common.

Now I have had the judgement I needed from a 'Deputy Judge' at MCOL and the DPS is about to pay up.

This just shows you it can be done but you need to be patient and persistent.

Well done Mortitia but it does beg the question as to why a Landlord has to go through this lengthy procedure when there is clear evidence of a tenant abusing the property to such an extent as you have described.

I was told by MCOL that a clerical worker and not a judge had made my judgement and this is quite common.

Wot? !!

This is the kind of thing I would write to my MP about to refer to Justice Secretary and ask what's going on. The judgement could perhaps have been made by the tea lady, presumably as equally qualified to do so as a 'clerical worker'.

Archived