Vacuum Cleaner

nataliejayne

Hi,

My tenants have come to me complaining that the hoover is broken and therefore I must replace it. This was a £450 dyson vacuum cleaner, which I really supplied them with out of the kindness of my heart when they moved in and not part of the furnishings. I checked the inventory, and it IS listed on there. However I would not have left it if I knew I had to replace it if it broke.

Do I have to replace the hoover? please could someone offer me on some advice as to what I should do.

Many thanks.

Yes you do have to repair or replace it.

Anything that is included in the rental when it starts.....e.g. central heating, cooker, fridge, washing machine etc etc are all your responsibility unless the contract specifically says its not.

. This was a £450 dyson vacuum cleaner, which I really supplied them with out of the kindness of my heart when they moved in.

You have just learnt a very hard lesson when it comes to landlord's and their hearts.

£450 for a Dyson? :blink:

The good news is that Dyson parts are very available and easy to replace. You could have provided a reconditioned Dyson DCO4 which is very adequate for any tenant for £60 quid.

You will be responsible for repair or replace as it is on the inventory but just don't go spending £450 on any tenant.

You might consider doing what I have done in the past......

I've had tenancies where e.g the washing machine has broken and it needs repair or replacement. I've told the tenant that I'm not going to do either and that its now up to them to get their own washing machine but to compensate I won't be applying a rent increase. If they don't agree, they can find somewhere else to rent.

I provide a Henry vacuum cleaner in each of my properties.

Unlike Dysons there are no small fiddly plastic bits to break off, they have a long lead, a long hose, a massive waste bag, are easy to store, come with a 2 year guarantee and are used by commercial operators including hospitals.....and all this for under £100.

I don't provide any vacuum cleaner's. Tenants can buy their own as far as I am concerned. Cheap enough to buy imo. new or second hand.

If I don't see one on my property checks I would ask how they are cleaning carpets etc. but I am happy to report that this has never happened.

I do happen to have a spare DC 04 should I ever need to put it into a property.

Archived