Gas hob burners - new regs?

Chestnut

Can anyone tell me whether gas hobs in flats without individual flame supervison devices (f.s.d.s) now should be or maybe even have to be changed to up-to-date models which have them?

I've been sent article (see Reg Gas Eng magazine Tech Bulletin No.015 Jan 2013) that states building regs update now require f.s.d.s on all burners in a multi-occupancy building (inc.flats).

Can anyone tell me whether gas hobs in flats without individual flame supervison devices (f.s.d.s) now should be or maybe even have to be changed to up-to-date models which have them?

I've been sent article (see Reg Gas Eng magazine Tech Bulletin No.015 Jan 2013) that states building regs update now require f.s.d.s on all burners in a multi-occupancy building (inc.flats).

Thanks Mel, I thought you'd know!

However, reading the article it seems to infer that gas hobs without fsd's installed prior to 1st Jan 2008 (derogation date) do not need to be immediately changed, that is until replaced for other reasons. Am I right?

My concern is that agents who arrange annual gas checks on behalf of landlords could put pressure on LL when they have no legal grounds to do so.

I accept that fsd versions would be safer - opportunity to replace by electric is another option, and possibly cheaper?

However, reading the article it seems to infer that gas hobs without fsd's installed prior to 1st Jan 2008 (derogation date) do not need to be immediately changed, that is until replaced for other reasons. Am I right?

Gas hobs will always be cheaper than electric hobs especailly solid plate types.

Are you sure ?

That doesn't seem right to me.

I can get a s/steel solid plate electric hob for around £70 from Howdens......I can't imagine gas hobs are cheaper.

Gas hobs will always be cheaper than electric hobs especailly solid plate types.

Are you sure ?

That doesn't seem right to me.

I can get a s/steel solid plate electric hob for around £70 from Howdens......I can't imagine gas hobs are cheaper.

The source of my question was quoted about £350 ex VAT by agent's GasSafe guy (who does annual cert) to replace with LAM 1001 (Howden?) hob.

My thinking on cost (and safety) is electric hob should fit in same aperture, 3 wire direct into existing cooker wall connection by competent electrician (or even confident d.i.y.er) - requires less skill and time, and no annual check and service required to follow. As in a holiday flat the fuel cost is not a main issue.

But my original question is whether change brought in in 2008 has become mandatory - this year is first time it's been raised. Why now, I wonder?

The source of my question was quoted about £350 ex VAT by agent's GasSafe guy (who does annual cert) to replace with LAM 1001 (Howden?) hob.

Wow! That is expensive !! £420 Quid ! It can be done for half that price by most gasesafe companies / engineers.

Landlord certificates are £65 inc. VAT for two appliances. Servicing extra. Rectification of any faults extra cost.

Normally work everyhing in together to keep cost down for landlord's which is why we get so much repeat business.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is not a retrospective ruling just yet but as my Son says when he is carrying out gas hob certification he does find a lot of faults with them especially on the controls and he normally condemns them on a 7 day notice. Some tenants do not how to clean gas hobs!

Archived