Tenant has decided to cancel his direct debit

Geezah

Tenant has asked permission for his partner to move in, I agreed and added her to the tenancy where they are jointly liable for the rent.

They now split the rent between them and have cancelled the direct debit and each pay their own half seperately by debit card.

Ive asked them to resurrect the direct debit after 2 months of this new 'arrangement' as before but they have not done this despite giving me the appropriate mouth music.

Am I being too picky? the rent is being paid on time and there are no arrears and in any case I don't have any grounds to get them to leave.

Much ado about nothing or a portent of things to come?

I think you (& they) will find that they are each responsible for the WHOLE rent. Should the rent not be paid you can persue either of them for the TOTAL. You should make sure everyone is aware of that.

Provided you are recieving the full rent I don't think it really matters how its paid.

If they can't arrange for each to pay their bit into an account for you to receive it the relationship looks to have a foundation of sand. The result for you is the concern.

Do you have a G'tor signed up to the new tenancy ?

If so maybe they could become responsible for payments to you, not an uncommon set up.

Archived