Damage to property

kerbut

Damage to property

I had a tenant leave a property earlier this month and the checkout inventory (professionally independent inventory clerk, photographic inventory )showed several damaged things , damage to carpets ,kitchen floor coverings (3 years old vinyl, stained by news print putting it down for the dog and ripped in another place ) , the tenant agreed this could be deducted from her deposit after I emailed her about it as she did not attend to check out despite 2 emails to her stating we would be on site at 11am on the allotted day . the inventory stated the property was in a dirty condition , mould in the main bedroom and bathroom and hallway (I have emails from me to the tenant asking her not to dry clothes in the property after seeing a cloths airer in the kitchen and to open the bathroom window after taking a shower ) I sent the ex tenant an email saying the living room smelt of dogs urine and I would have to change the living room carpet (£20 per meter 4 years ago in a room 5mx5m )We lifted the carpet last weekend and it is stained through to the underlay in several places, when told she returned an abusive email to me and said her dog never urinated in the property or on the carpet , on a subsequent email she got more abusive so I let her have her deposit back (yes, it was protected with my deposits ) less the cost of the replacement vinyl as I have been down the arbitration route before and it was a waste of time (ie,I lost on what was a rock solid case ). So I am now going to persue her through the Small claims court for the painters bill (£500) , materials £50 ,cleaning (tba) and replacement carpet (£650). Has any one else had experience taking this route ,as I understand the CC will be more for the Landlord than the Arbitration Service are.

I posted this on another forum ,but got little responce, lets try it on my normal forum.

Whatever happened to regular 3 monthly inspections ? Didn't you bother with those ? Didn't you issue instructions & follow up ?

You won't be able to claim the full cost of decorating or replacement carpet which was already 4 years old when damaged. You'll be lucky to get just a small fraction of the replacement costs.

Having said that I would never let my properties to pet owners.....it almost always ends in tears for the landlord.

SCC is the best route, I wish you luck......just don't set your expectations to high.

In your shoes I'd make sure I did my homework eg

Carpet = 4 years old/ replacement cost £400

Life expectancy of carpet = 6 years

Costs claimed = £400/6 X2 = £133

Repeat for all other items .......

If you claim to much it might result in nothing.

Don't suppose you have a guarantor ?

It might have made life easier.

HI Kerbut,

Like you I expect the Small Claims Court will be more sympathetic (if that is the right word) than in my case the DPS. I started a moneyclaim online case off last July having suspended tenants deposit with DPS and I am still hanging around. Tenant has decided he wants a hearing - I don't want one and like you have photoed damage, mess etc.

In short don't expect a quick result. Has ex tenant got funds to pay up?

Mortitia

Archived