Jump to content



Recommended Posts

Could someone please give me advice on renting my house, I am moving in with my partner and want to rent mine out very short term until it sells. I no about the gas and electric safety checks and certificates needed, I have found a couple who want to rent on a 12 weekly basis witch is great for me as i could find a buyer in sell the property in 12 weeks.. however how and who can produce a tenancy agreement up for me.. a solicitor, ? Please advise my minds boggled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heard of Lettings Agents ?.....most high street have lots of them. They deal with all the matters associated with lletting property

Heres my checklist:-

The most important thing that any potential landlord can do is choose their tenants very very carefully.
1. Get Referencies.....bank, employer and previous landlord.
2. Take out rent guarantee insurance.....its not expensive.
3. Get a home owning guarantor. Carry out reference checks on the guarantor. Give the guarantor a copy of the AST. Make sure the guarantor document is drawn up as a deed.
4. Don't let to people with pets or children......the risk of them giving you problems are big.
5. Don’t let to anyone under 18 (minors). Draw up your own limits….I prefer nobody under 25.
6. Don't let to smokers........you won't get rid of the smell.
7. Don’t do Company lets.
8. Don’t let to anyone on Housing Benefits.
8a. If you do choose to let to applicants on Housing Benefit CHECK that your mortgage & freeholder (if your property is leasehold) allows it.
9. Don't let to anyone who isn't working full time.
10. Inspect properties every 3 months.
11. Only let initially on a 6 month AST.....that way you can both part company after 6 months if you don't get on.
12. Use a reputable Lettings Agent OR one who has been recommended OR do it yourself (only if you know what to do).
13. Meet your tenants personally. Make sure you ask all the right questions and gauge whether they are right for you.
14. Protect the deposit in one of the official schemes.
14a. If you have a dispute with your tenant(s) over deductions from the deposit remember…..you can either go through the DPS adjudication process OR take the tenant to the Small Claims Court for recovery of your losses where you may have a better chance of success.
15. Issue a section 21 notice as soon as the deposit has been protected.
16. Make sure there is a detailed inventory & schedule of condition……signed by both parties.
17. Remember its a business....so avoid emotion & being overly sympathetic to your tenants.
18. Read as much as you can about renting & letting i.e. educate yourself.
19. Don’t let to anyone who doesn’t speak or understand English.
20. Don’t forget that you will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)…….before you market the property.
21. Don’t forget to get an annual Gas Certificate.
22. You are responsible for ensuring anything electrical in the property is safe so consider getting the electrics checked professionally….and any appliances you provide.
23. Try to avoid having your property classified as an HMO……meeting regulations is expensive and time consuming.
24. Make sure all adults living at the property are on the AST & any other documents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An electrical cert is not a legal requirement unless the property is an HMO.

Yes you can do a contract for 12 weeks though i advise 3 months not 12 weeks as a monthly contract is easier for drawing up legal notices.

The down side to doing a 3 month/12 week contract is if the tenant doesnt move out you cannot evict using a s21 notice before the 6 month mark.

To discourage a tenant staying on after 3 months have the contract draw up that puts a big rent increase for month 4 onward, have a guarantor in place and a section 21 also in place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...