Cutting out the estate agent?

Horzabora

Hello,

I have been renting out my property for a year to excellent tenants but through an estate agent in an assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

The contract is coming up for renewal.

Both the tenant and I want to continue our relationship, but without the managed service provided by the estate agent.

i.e. we want to have a new contract between us without me paying a management fee to the estate agent, or them paying additional costs etc.

Is this just a case of us both terminating our agreement with the estate agent and then them continuing to live in the house but paying rent directly to me?

I have scoured our contract and don't seem to think there is anything stopping us doing this but wouldn't be surprised if the agent could stop it in one way or another?

Thanks!

As mentioned give notice to your EA to cease the contract BUT be prepared for comebacks from the EA because strictly speaking you are poaching the tenant that they found for you.

What is in the Tenant's contract re- quitting the agency?

Thanks for responses....maybe I should just be honest and tell the agent what we are planning.

There is only one gotcha that I can see in the contract - and that is that the tenant only gets their deposit back once they vacate the house...which obviously they won't be doing. Obviously I wouldn't want them to lose their deposit....

Thanks!

Dont forget to look into how the deposit is held at the moment as you may need to open your own account with the DPS for the deposit to be transfered to so you have control at the end of the tenancy.

Archived