organising short term rental

Susan_73

Hi, I live in Scotland and own a property there, which I had managed previously by a letting agent. Because we moved back to the country we decided not to continue with this arrangement. two weeks before my last tenant move out water came through the roof - we have no claim on the insurance due to it being negligence.

We have been doing the maintenance work ourselves. A collegue at work asked if I would be willing to rent to a Bolivian couple and their 12 year old daughter for two month initially for a reduced rent and they would in turn do the work needed in the house. The family are in the process of getting residency such as NI no etc. my collegue has agreed to be the guarentor for the family.

This seems on the face of it an ideal situation.... but how do I make sure I am covered legally in realtion to drawing up a 2 month contract - do I get them to sign a lease too and an AT5, which may mean I have offered them a SSST?

they may well be the best tenants ever, but I need to make sure that 2 months later they will not say they do not have the money to pay the full rent and utilities etc. there must be a way to do this since people rent out their flats for holiday lets etc

any opinions would be gratefully recieved

regards,

Susan

A collegue at work asked if I would be willing to rent to a Bolivian couple and their 12 year old daughter for two month initially for a reduced rent and they would in turn do the work needed in the house.

Scotland or not re renting laws................... :unsure:

DO NOT DO IT!

You will heading quite possibly into a whole heap of trouble.

Guarantors who are friends quickly end up as ex friends when it all goes pear shaped.

You have been warned..........but let us all know what happens if you decided to ignore the advice and proceed to rent your property to these people.

Mel.

Archived