Cost of running an entry phone system

montcavrel

I am the freeholder of a house divided into 4 flats, one of which is mine and is let out. Historically the electricity costs of the common parts including a bell 61 entry phone system are borne by my flat. Can any one advise me of the likely annual Electricity cost of this so that I can repay the tenant the appropriate sum. He has kept back over £300 from last months rent , which I believe to be excessive.

You're asking us how long is a piece of string ?

Entry phone.... + lights ? ..... + sockets for cleaner ?......+ anything else ?

Unless you have it separately metered neither you nor anyone else is likely to know.......far to many variables.

I guess if you have the time you could work out the cost if you know the times the lights are on, the amount of use the scokets get and the door entry system if you have the specs and price per kw. Then add 10% for error.

How does the tenant know the communal elecy is connected to his supply? If you told him it may have been best not too have done and just charge a reduced rent to cover for it.

Or you could just get its own supply then do a proper service charge budget covering:

insurance (legal requirement)

risk assessment (legal requirement)

abestos check (legal requirement)

management fee

accountants fee

sinking fund

window cleaning

garden maintenance

and anything else that may be stated in the lease

1352146978' post=21318]

I guess if you have the time you could work out the cost if you know the times the lights are on, the amount of use the scokets get and the door entry system if you have the specs and price per kw. Then add 10% for error.

How does the tenant know the communal elecy is connected to his supply? If you told him it may have been best not too have done and just charge a reduced rent to cover for it.

Or you could just get its own supply then do a proper service charge budget covering:

insurance (legal requirement)

risk assessment (legal requirement)

abestos check (legal requirement)

management fee

accountants fee

sinking fund

window cleaning

garden maintenance

and anything else that may be stated in the lease

You could write a little spreadsheet for the item powers installed and likely to be used and the hours per month and add the products

e.g.

Vacuum cleaner - 2000Watts X 1 hour/wk X 4 weeks = 8kWh (kilowatthours)

Lights - 200Watts X 4 hrs/day(night) X 30 days = 28kWh

Entry Phone - 10W ? on all time 24hrs X 30days - say 2.5kWh

Anything else?

Total above say 40kWh per month total at 20p/kWh = about £8/month

All pure guesswork! - I expect Mortitia's £5 is about right.

Don't forget to add in a bit more for the tenants who run out of elecy on their top-up key so then run an extension cable out of their letter box into the communal area.

Had that happened twice.:angry:

Don't forget to add in a bit more for the tenants who run out of elecy on their top-up key so then run an extension cable out of their letter box into the communal area.

Had that happened twice.:angry:

Thats easily remedied.......have the 13 amp sockets installed in a lockable box or cupboard and give the cleaner a key. Thats how they do it in my part of Essex.

Archived